She bangs her head on the floor or wall when mad. Is this normal?

My 19 month old will beat her forehead against the wall or the floor when she does not get her way. She use to fall out on the floor and cry when mad, but for the past week now she has started hitting her head very very hard. It is worrying me and I can not figure out how to get her to stop it!

Does anyone have an ideas? Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Seems like it's just the way she's throwing a tantrum (ahhh...the joy of toddler-hood!). Best advice for any tantrum is to IGNORE her. As soon as she starts, turn your back and/or walk out of the room. She'll soon figure out that it's not working to get your attention and will, hopefully, go onto something else.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My 2 1/2 year old did it when she was younger, but eventually she realized it hurt and stopped =) She used to headbutt everything too.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yep, and just ignore it.
    Anonymous

• Cadence does that now too! not like on the wall or anything but bangs the back of her head against her highchair or something
    sabinam

Answer by sabinam at 8:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my sister, who is 22 now, used to do that when we were that age. one time she did it on the kitchen floor, realized how bad she hurt herself and never did it again
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Thanks ladies! I now see!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008