Can cold medicines make you bleed harder?

This is probably a tmi question but i was wondering. I got sick the day before i started my period which seems to be happening lately lol...but really got sick the day that i started. I am taking cold meds and my period seems to be alot heavier than it has ever been. I mean really heavy. Could it just be the period itself and thats the way life rolls lol or could maybe my meds be making it heavier? I am taking alka-seltzer and theraflu....thanks for the help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Health

• Not sure, I know that it can increase your blood pressure, but I have a good feeling that it wouldn't impact your menstrual bleeding. If you are concerned about it though, you can try some non medicinal methods. Shower-soother tabs are great. You toss them in the shower and they react with the steam to create some nice menthol vapors. I'd also reccomend a netti-pot. It sounds gross, but basically you flush out your sinuses with saline solution. When you have a cold it gives you a few good hours of relief. And if you are hungry...eat some buffalo wings or something spicy, that will clear ya up!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I would really think its just the period. If it doesnt get better in a few days I would talk to your obgyn. I mean aspirin or ibuprofen can thin your blood but you have to take a LOT of it and the dischrge from a period is mostly tissue not so much blood so I think cold meds are out as your cause.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Thank you ladies for your help....today it seems to have slowed some. for a while i was starting to get a little concerned lol..anyways thank you lots!!!
    Anonymous