Concerning?

I have a 3 month old. He does a few things that seem odd to me. When he is layed down to go to sleep he turns his head to the left and up....so his head is laying on it's side, then it is as if he then looks as far up as he can. He only does this when he is laying on his back, usually right before he falls asleep....has anyone heard of this? Also - when I pull him up by his arms, his head lags back, is this normal for this age?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 4:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course this stuff is normal. Babies tend to lay like they laid in the womb, perhaps that's how he laid for awhile. If he's sleeping then he's comfy. As far as his head lagging back it's because his muscles aren't fully developed. You should always support his head until he gains control of it. Most kids can hold there head up quickly, but they still can't support the weight all the time. Be careful of this, you don't want to hurt him!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my baby who is 3 months old tries to look up really hard when shes on her back. except when she is going to sleep she tries to bury her head. Just her way of falling asleep i think. It's kinda cute that they have little quirks.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• When a baby learns to roll over, the head goes first. What you described sounds to me like he is working those muscles to flip over.

As for the head hanging, thats normal too. The dr tests it, and it is a cause for concern, but not until 4-5 months, when those muscles are supposed to be toned.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 5:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2008