Has anyone actually died from weed ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not from marijuana alone. Some people have died from alcohol or other drugs while also having weed in their system, but that is just a coincidence.

People have died from long term smoking of cigarettes and marijuana, but it is the tobacco, not the marijuana that caused death.

Smoking marijuana can cause lower lung capacity and it can aggravate already serious heart conditions, but it does not CAUSE a life-threatening illness.
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 4:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• My cousin while high on weed killed himself while on his motorcycle. He was a purist and only smoked pot nothing else was found in his system. He had smoked all day and had no business being on the road. His bike hit a woman and her child both were also killed. Weed like any other substance is dangerous when abused.
    Anonymous

• Everyone who was killed from weed, was also using something else as well. No one has died from solely using weed.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• "Effects on the Lungs
    Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer"
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• "Effects on the Heart
    Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.5 This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities."

ImaginationMama

• I am for legalizing, but let's not go around claiming that putting any type of drug-smoke into your lungs where smoke should not be is perfectly healthy. That is the major problem with the legalization campaign.

Just admit it.

Not good for you.

It might take away your nausea and pain, but it is not good for you.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• And, my disabled friend. well, the docs wanted to pull the plug on him. thought he was too brain damaged to live. i know the driver, so i know the accident was caused by marijuana. was it actually charged as such? NO. Is it recorded anywhere? NO. Google does not have these statistics because we simply do not collect them. we collect etoh statistics.

It also messes with your neurotransmitters and can contribute to psychosis and mania in those predisposed.

I have also studied pharma, samarai. Both undergraduate and graduate.

Legalize it, fine, but claim it doesn't harm? I'm not having it.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Imagination do you realize that these studies are done by giving their subject more marijuana than a normal smoker would ever smoke? the studies are made to emphasize the bad side but done in a way which is not conclusive to a normal weed smoker. Everything in excess is bad for you, we don't need a study for this just good old common sense.

Answer by older at 6:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I do. There are differences between smokers, though. Some people will just smoke it every now and then and some people will smoke it all day long. My friend who disabled the other friend was a MJ addict. My friend did it all day long . . . anytime it could be sneaked in. There are people who get addicted and can't get enough of it.
    As far as the mania and psychosis . . I have seen it way too many times when my psychotic clients have used. It usually resulted in hospitalization. And, people who use depression meds really have issues with stability when they add marijuana in.
    I don't think it is any worse than alcohol or cigarettes, but there should be knowledge of the risks with use.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• No absolutely not and weed is actually way safer than most prescriptions and beer which are all legal.

I know of someone who killed because they were high off of weed !

One of my friend's step brother killed a pizza guy (he and a couple of his friends) .. they were high and of course that was also their 'excuse" ...

they only got 6 years for it too ...

OK I'm freaking sorry but no have you ever smoked weed it doesn't make you violent or aggressive it makes you lazy and happy. That's just the cop out they used becuase they acted on a thought they had for what ever reason who knows mental illness aggression issues a girl I could name a hundred but it was not weed. Now if it was meth, cocaine, pcp, heroine then I could see it being the drug because they put you in alternate realities you can hallucinate and you are very aggressive and angry. Weed though no effing way they lied about why and got away with it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2011