Pregnant with Mirena?

I was wondering if anyone knew if you can get pregnant if you have mirena or if this has happended to anyone? If so what types of symptoms did you have? Did you take a test? Was is positive or negative? What happened if you were/are? Sorry for asking so many questions, it just has been driving me nuts for a couple weeks now; I think I have some pregnancy symptoms, but I took a home test yesterday and it came out negative so... Thanks so much for the replies!

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 4:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Can you feel the strings? If the mirena is in place, it is nearly imposible to become pg. If it has fallen out & you didn't know it then it is very possible. This is why you are supposed to check for the strings at least monthly.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 4:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have never really been able to feel them. My fiancee said he could before, I guess I should ask him of try and check. It just has been stressing me out a little lately, especially since another lady I talked to said she had mirena for 2 years and went to the doctors a week or so ago and they told her she was 11 weeks pregnant.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 5:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Kind of TMI for you, but I don't really check mine either dh does LOL. My midwife told me that she recently had a woman come in because her periods had come back and sue enough the mirena had fallen out. So if your bleeding changes then you should get it checked as well.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 9:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My college instructor got pregnant with mirena, so its possible NO birth control is 100%. I had mirena too and felt prego symptoms, took alot of home tests all negative. And went to my regular doctor who told me to go to my OB, when I went there they told me my IUD fell out and gave me an ultra sound to be sure I wasnt prego, I wasnt. But because my IUD fell out it caused my horomoes to go crazy which gave me the prego symptoms. You could have the same thing??
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I got pregnant when i was on the mirena, I was having pregnany symptoms. (throwing up, cramps,tired)Took a pregnancy test, and it was positive, so I went to my doctor. She told me that she might have placed the mirena in wrong! and it had fallin out. And she took a blood test, and yep I was preggo. :) now am 31 weeks pregnant and me and my husband could not be more excited!
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 3:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had my iud for almost 2yrs and my periods were pretty much gone. Last Sun I started bleeding. This was very odd for me. Mon I took a test and had a faint positive. Went to the doc that day and had the iud removed. They did a blood test. Got a call on Wed. they said it was a chemical pregnancy. I am still bleeding. Go back in on Mon for another blood test just be sure my levels are not going up. Im pretty sure they are not. If anything I am happy the iud is gone! I was wanting to get it removed anyway. Was kinda hoping for a happy ending but figured it would be what it is.
    munchkin79

Answer by munchkin79 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009