what would you have done?

okay I took the kids to walmart to pick up their meds.So my mom took her break and walked around with us.my dd began to throw the mother of all fits because she was climbing from front to back.I finally asked her where she wanted to sit and she said front.I made her stay there.Well that set her off screaming everyone was staring at us.She kept yelling mama hold now.I said no you need to sit in the cart.She continued till my mom let go of the cart(she was pushing) and walked away.I said what?her reply was if alls she is going to do is scream I am not going to stay near her.She continued to scream while we waited in line with all eyes on us.I didn't budge and once we were 2nd in line she finally stopped crying and was laughing/talking.Till my mom came to talk to us and the crying/screaming began again.My mom was mad that I didn't give in and let her either climb back and forth or carry her through the store.Am I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're not wrong. You shouldn't give in...otherwise you'll end up with that behavior all the time. You might want to explain to your child though that people don't like to be around screaming, crabby kids though and that is why grandma walked away.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• no way! Kids need boundaries and dicipline they strive on it. Good job mom
    Anonymous

• no, I make my son sit in the buggy. I can not always carry him and they need to learn that. Stick to your guns!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i dont think your wrong at all. you know whats best for your daughter and she needs to know what is expected of her in a public place. easier said than done, always follow your heart and never give in or she'll know she can always get what she wants if she cries or throws a fit. believe me, i know its not easy.
    k10ann7

Answer by k10ann7 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• No, you are not wrong at all, i have been in that situation many a times but not nesseceraly with my mum because i like to go shopping with the children on my own. But you were not wrong at all yo done everything a proper mother would have done to tell your daughter that you cannot mess her around.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 4:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• stand your ground mamma! =D
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 5:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You are not wrong. The only thing I'd have done different is to put her in time out. I keep an old baby blanket in my bag and my daughter knows I will pull it out and plunk her on it. If I can, I take her to the restroom to have her tantrum. If I can't, I don't hesitate to find a slightly out of the way corner of the store and park her there. If other customers want to stare, fine. But my daughter is very quick - if I started taking her home every time she threw a fit out in public, she'd start throwing a fit just so I'd take her home. Sometimes, the shopping has to be done.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Once the screaming started, I would have immediately taken her out of the cart and put her in time out right in there where we were. When she was done with her fit, and she was ready to get in the cart and sit properly, then she could have gotten out of timeout and into the cart then we'd continue our shopping. If she started again, all halt and right back into time out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Nope. If you don't start setting boundries now, it's only going to get worse.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• WTG MOMMY id do the same thing if they want to have a fit make them feel embarrased that others are looking at them my son hates it when he throws a fit and others look at him and laugh...and encourage people when they see him having a fit to smile and wave at him..he usually stops bout ten seconds after he starts lol...
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008