DeSmet, South Dakota or Mansfield, Missouri?

Anyone ever been to either of these places? I'm only asking because I'm a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan and I've always wanted to visit the places she lived, or at least spent most of her life at.

myree85

Asked by myree85 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2011 in Travel

• We went to DeSmet two summers ago. My sweet DH planned it into our trip itinerary b/c he knew I loved LIW! Unfortunately, we rolled through pretty late in the afternoon; it was a stop on a loooong car tour.

It was very cool seeing the house that Pa built and where they stayed for the Long Winter. We also went out to the homestead, outside of town proper. They had replicas of the different houses LIW lived in and wrote about - dugout, shanty, etc. - and a restored one-room school house complete with bonnets and frocks. My daughter (5 then) loved playing school there; my 2 yo loved the downy chicks under the heat lamp at the homestead office/museum/store.

We plan on stopping the next time we go through SD, but earlier in the day!!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 12:34 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• I love LIW too and would like to visit both places but haven't been to either one.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• I have lived in SD and never heard of DeSmet, never been to the Missouri one either.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• SD!
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:43 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• no but would love to see them all
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Been through the one in Missouri. Didn't stop to see any of the sites. Would like to go to both someday.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 11:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I grew up in MO, and have been to the Laura Ingalls Wilder house several times as well as her grave. It is really cool to see the place where she wrote her books, they have her desk right there as she left it. I would love to go see the one in De Smet one day because that's where several of the books took place.

Mansfield is a pretty small town too, and is really proud of their LIW heritage.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• AF4life DeSmet's a really small town. When I googled it seems like it's all about LIW. Shell89 I want to go see both places but I might end up seeing DeSmet fist since it's closer to me.
    myree85

Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Thanks for replying ladies! I wasn't sure how many fans of LIW were out there, so I didn't know whether I'd get any responses. I'm so jealous of the people who have gone to some of these places! I think that's gonna be mine and DS's next family vacation. He's only 4 so he's too young to protest anyway, lol!
    myree85

Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Aw! That was sweet of your DH! I've wanted to go for so long. I didn't know they had the replicas of other houses! That's really neat!
    myree85

Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2011