How to break baby of falling asleep to bottle!

Hello! My son is 6 months old. the ONLY way we can get him to sleep is if he falls asleep to us feeding him a bottle... or of course, If he's in the carseat in the car he'll fall asleep on his own. He does not like pacifiers unless it's to switch from bottle to pacifier when he's out of his bottle and asleep. If he runs out of bottle and we don't have the pacifier handy, he'll just wake up and cry. We've tried to the cry it out method and everything. I just wish I could lay him down and have him know it's bedtime and fall asleep on his own. Having to rock him with a bottle everytime he naps or goes down for the night is not good!! Please help!

miranda_nichols

Asked by miranda_nichols at 8:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they grow out of it themselfs my daughter stopped when i had to potty train her so by 3yrs of age to stop the bed wetting 2hrs before bed there was no drinks and she grew out of it if your baby sleeps in the crib with the bottle dont put alot of milk so when he falls asleep it doesnt leak into the blankets
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Cold turkey.Get read.It usually does not take more than a few days.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 8:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• He doesn't go to bed with the bottle.. He cannot hold the bottle himself yet.. he just can't go to sleep without me rocking him and feeding him a bottle while falling asleep. I want him to be able to fall asleep on his own without needing me to feed him.
    miranda_nichols

Comment by miranda_nichols (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• The first post is right they do grow out of it. Just don't ever leave the bottle n their crib it could rot out the babies teeth. Use water if you end up getting into a situation where your baby needs a bottle to fall asleep. Mine was the same way he eventually grew out of it. Try rocking him to sleep without the bottle. As far as falling asleep my son did that too. He grew out of it.
    cleo77725

Answer by cleo77725 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• My son was BF but it sounds like the same situation. I had to very quickly, very carefully switch from breast to paci when he fell asleep or he would wake up and cry for more milk. I wish I could tell you there's a magic solution, but I don't think there is. They want to suck, because it makes them feel comforted and secure. That is why it helps them fall asleep. He will grow out of it. For now, he is a baby. He works like a baby. Let him be a baby.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2011

• Did you ever figure this out? I'm struggling with the same issues with my 6 month old.
    Canuck99

Answer by Canuck99 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2012