Are you an ex-smoker? How did you quit smoking? I am on Chantix and this is my 3rd day without smoking and it's SO hard!

MommyTatum

Asked by MommyTatum at 5:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Health

• I smoked for 18 months adn I swear I tried to quit since the day I started. Sfter having pnuemonia three times in one year i got fed up and quit cold turkey. The hardest part for me was driving because everytime I got in my car I would light up. I also stayed far far away form people who smoked and tried to come up with new ways to cope that I coul continue to use for a life time. It is VERY hard but you get to a point where you are fed up with literally lighting your money on fire and watching it burn. I remember the first time I smelled my hair and it smelled like shampoo! That was such a high for me and when the sensation in the tips of my fingers started to come back and my nails were pretty again instead of yellow. Watch for those little things. They reinforce your decision to quit. OH and everything tastes SO much better!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i quite cold turkey.
    also i was doing meth a month b4 i got preg. i also quite cold turkey.
    it was hard you have to be strong willied
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Did you research Chantix? I highly recommend doing so. There is some serious side affects that have caused people to either end up in jail or commiting suicide. Not to scare you, but I'd look into it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Here's a link about it: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/archives/pharmacy_qa/scary_side_effects_of_chantix.php
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• This was a really long time ago, but...

My mother quit smoking "cold turkey". She did it by eating Butter Rum Lifesavers like a freak for about a couple of weeks. Gross, I know, but it worked for her.
    Anonymous

• Yes...I have researched it and have learned lots about it.

My doctor and I have had several talks about the risk vs. the benefits. As of right now, the only side effect I have noticed is some REAL bizarre dreams and a little sleeplessness.

MommyTatum

Answer by MommyTatum at 5:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• MommyTatum- I'm glad you have researched it. I just wanted to let you know about it. Good luck trying to quit. I still smoke................but I applaud you for quitting!!!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I quit on Chantix!! And it's awesome. I took an entire class on it as well before I started taking it. The only talk of some one commiting suicide was an incident with one man and people forget to mention that he was drunk when he did it. The media paints a poor light on Chantix, but I've never heard anything but good things from people who have actually taken it. The only negative I hear are from people who have never taken it.
    PorcelainMom81

Answer by PorcelainMom81 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• well as soon as i found out i was pregnant i stoped cold turkey.You have to think of your kids rather than your self!!!You also have to really want to stop!!Try peppermint candy, chew gum, stuff like that helps!! GOOD LUCK
    Keshia_danielle

Answer by Keshia_danielle at 6:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I smoked for 13 years, and then I got pregnant w/ Isaac. I quit when I found out I was pregnant, and just never started back up again! Stay strong.. it DOES get easier... eventually!! LOL
    mommabayr

Answer by mommabayr at 6:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2008