What do you do when someone gives you a gift and you have nothing in return?

Sometimes I'm on the giving end and sometimes I'm on the recieving end. What do you do when someone gives you or your child a gift that you weren't expecting and you didn't get them anything? Do you just say "thank you" and make a mental note for next year? Or do you run out and get them something too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Holidays

• If they weren't expecting anything in return, then I would just say thank you. I wouldn't feel like I should give them something in return. Although, I probably would anyway because I am like that.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I always keep some general wrapped gifts in the house so that I have something to give, should that happen to me. I tend to get Christmas Nighlights, Chocolate Truffles, Candle sets and a few bottles of wine in pretty bags. If you already have them pre-wrapped, you can just run over and grab one and go..."I have something for you too"
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i always keep a few extra gift wrapped under the tree for when that happens. it's always something small like candles or bath & body lotion. plus i do a lot of baking during the holidays, cookies, candy, fudge, etc. and i give that out as gifts too so i always have something ready.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• When that happens to me, I just say Thank you. I don't do any thing else but a nice kind Thank you.
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I just say thank you and make a note for next year. (Or for a bday or something else)
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 9:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Learn to graciously accept a gift:-) Often times it takes more effort to receive gracefully than to give:-) I
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I try to have extra gifts on hand, but this only helps if the surprise gifting happens at my house. lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would graciously say "Thank You" and be sure to send them a lovely Thank You note after Christmas when you send one to everyone else.
    Going out to buy a gift after someone gifts you will make the giver feel as if that is the only reason you gave one to them (and they would be correct!).
    Having extra little generic gifts on hand to give "just in case" seems disgenuine - there is no thought put into purchasing an individual gift. What is the purpose of giving a gift if it wasn't chosen especially for that person?
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:44 AM on Dec. 22, 2008