• In the Spotlight:

I'm about to start my four month old on rice cereal should I give it to him in a bottle or a bowl?

kika022

Asked by kika022 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Experts say not to give it in a bottle. If they aren't physically developed enough to take it on a spoon, then their bodies aren't biologically ready to handle it yet. That being said - lots of moms do it and their babies are perfectly fine.

I opted for a bowl and a spoon. Make it really runny....milky consistency to begin with. Put the spoon to his lower lip and let him suck it off. Once he gets the hang of that, make the cereal progressively thicker and start putting the spoon in his mouth. If his tongue pushes the food back out after several attempts then he is not ready for solids yet. Try again in a week or two. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• In a bowl. Put some formula or breastmilk in it and keep it a very watery consistency at first and then you can slowly add a little less formula each day. I mix my daughters with apple sauce, she loves it, but don't add apple sauce until after you're sure she isn't allergic. I didn't start the apple sauce until 5 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• In a bowl. And make it on the watery side. Don't be surprised if he flat out refuses it. He may not be ready yet (happened to my son). If that's the case, just try again at a later point. My son was almost 6 months old before he actually started eating off a spoon. Good Luck!!!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I DID IT IN A BOTTLE AND MY DAUGHTER WAS FINE.....THEY ACTUALLY MAKE BOTTLE THAT YOU CAN PUT CEREAL IN IT............
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 7:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't put it in the bottle unless your doctor specifically said to for medical reasons. It can be a choking hazard. As previous poster said, if they aren't able to take it from a spoon, this is a sign that their digestive tract is not ready for solids.
    Andie.

Answer by Andie. at 8:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2008