My 9 year old is over sensitive sometimes, how do I approach him and tell him his overreacting draws a lot of attention to him?

I don't want to be rude to my son but he is 9 and acts like a 2 year old when someone is mean to him. He cries and throws tantrums to get my attention. He doesn't have a "learning disability", he's just overly sensitive and really attached to me.

An example of him overreacting is when his older brother Jules said his room smelled my son slammed his door several times and screamed, then cried. And in public if one of his sisters says something to him he'll cry and make a scene in the middle of the store. If they say he's acting like a baby he cries louder. I want to talk to him before I make my decision whether he should see a quack or not. I just want to know what am I supposed to say to him.

jen_park

Asked by jen_park at 7:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• You must have been avioding to give him the reality check. He needs to know how he acts is really not acceptable in his age. I don't really have much clue on that.

I have the same problem with my 5 year old, he gets mad real easy and cries as loud as he can. I don't know what can i do because he runs away from us, then 15 minutes later he comes back with a smily face like nothing has happened.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• This to me does sound like maybe you should consult a physician. I have a 9 year old little girl who is like this and she has bipolar disorder. I hope you have better luck and just try talking to him about how it looks on the outside looking in or even video tape it and he might react diffrent seeing what it looks like to other people. I wish you the best of luck.
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• He needs to have consequences for this. In my opinion, it is manipulative and he is getting what he wants with this behavior. I send my kids to their room when they are pitching a fit (at home) because I tell them it is ok to cry, but not scream in the house. if they want to act like that, they need leave until they can calm down.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• This is a touchy subject... you need to help him control the temper tantrums, but at the same time you don't want to give him the idea that you don't care about his emotions. He can't help it that he's sensitive... but he CAN control his outbursts. I don't have any great solution for this problem, so take it one step at a time. Good luck.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Maybe attention is what he wants. My son did that a couple of times and I had enough of that bs. The next time he did it I gathered my entire family and told them all to be attentive and give him the attention he needs. He stopped and looked at everyone, got embarrassed and never did it again.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2008