Do you ever just need a break from everything?

DH and I have both been really irritable today for many reasons. Won't get into all the hairy details, but we just have a lot going on. To top it off his shop sent him to do training on a plane he hates with the biggest retard they have, so he is SUPER annoyed, and tomorrow he has to do with the biggest retard and the second biggest retard (he actually asked me if women only have 2 eggs!). As for me I had a long annoying day and my DD fights nap time and diaper changes and kicks and hits me (only 9 months, so not much I can do) and I am pregnant and VERY hormonal. We have been at each others' throats all night without even meaning to be because we are both just so frazzled and needing a break from life it seems like! Too bad that is not a possibility. Really hoping I can go home next month so that we can both get a much needed break. He is taking leave for a week next month, but I will be working that whole week, so he will get a nice break but I won't. My break won't come unless I can go to my mothers' and get some help with my DD, since I am just soo exhausted!

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 1:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm sorry this is tough time. Like you said, with a 9 month old, and another baby on the way, you definitely have your hands full. Think of it like "boot camp"...you are in training for what is to come. I remember when my children were little, and I was pregnant with another, there was no escape. Just like you have 9 months to prepare for the arrival of another baby, you also have time to prepare for the chaos that you will learn to manage with grace. Raising children and balancing marriage, work, dinner etc takes practice and patience. You'll be the master of it in no time. My baby just graduated high school.. I'm EXHAUSTED!!! 23 years of Non stop, never give up, "you're wearing what?, you're dating who?, because I said so, I'm the mom, my house my rules" Parenting. It's tough, you're just beginning, but you'll soon be a pro :) Take time to sit down, breath in, and bask on your blessings!
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 6:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I hope you get that break.
    Next tuesday my Dd goes to California with my Mom, and I am also getting a break with school clothes shopping, which my Mom wants to take her. So I get to relax for the two weeks she has my Dd in California with her.
    My Dh and I are planning to go out to ea and just relax by watching a movie at home.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 2:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• We all need a break, sometimes from each other. I went to Florida in April by myself for a week, it was amazing. When I came home we were all happy to see each other again.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I love my DH to death, but right now I think time apart is exactly what we need, since we are just at each others' throats. We always apologize right away, because we know we are wrong, but then within 30 minutes something else comes up. I think a little break from each other would do us both good so we can both relax and revamp.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I really hope you get a break. My bf will only get 2 days off when our son comes so it's gonna be so stressful with the nesting, and he is going to be working 1pm-10pm which totally sucks butt! He's not going to be spending much time with his son and that kills me. I understand that he's working but he def needs to switch hours after a while! So I wish the best for you and your husband. You deserve a break!!
    Kim92

Answer by Kim92 at 4:53 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• every year my dh is out of work during the winter and it takes everything in me to stay married to him because we are together 24/7 for 4 to 6 months...couples need time apart. You know the saying absence makes the heart grow fonder
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Sounds like some immaturity in there too. Why jump at each others throats when the problems you're frustrated with are actually other people and things and not each other?? Slow down, think before you say mean things to each other and then have to apologize right away. What good does that do either of you? Nothing. Grown ups don't do these things. That would relieve some of your stress right there. I guess this is why my DH & I never fight. If your DD is 9mos old is kicking and fighting you then, you aren't really parenting. Don't allow that to get started and your diaper changes and nap time will go smoother or maybe she really is not tired enough when you want to put her down because you're ready for a break from her. Wait longer, until she is really tired enough to fall asleep and just a short nap so she will go to bed early at night and sleep night through. Life really isn't this difficult unless you make it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• She is tired when I put her down anon, I know this because she will start to fall asleep on me, but once then will wake up and freak out and when I put her down she will fight going to sleep. As for the fighting, we don't normally EVER fight to be honest. We have both just been really stressed and I am extremely hormonal. What would you suggest I do to discipline a 9 month old? Because every time I try something I get told that I am mean parent by everyone else. I do stop her and redirect her, but that doesn't mean that she won't just do again 10 minutes later.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I so feel your pain...i just had to be off work 6 weeks because of back surgery, and we were really getting cabin fever being around each other all the time esp w/ the kids going crazy, b/c it was too hot to go outside. I wish I could give you advice but I"m in that same spot, where I really need some time away from my hubby. Sometimes he is fine w/ me going somewhere by myself, but gets very clingy when i get back, or possessive of my time. Now that I am finally back at work it's nice to be able to work, but I still need alone time also, or time to get away w/ friends, who I dont' have that many of really.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• i can beat you on who's stupid-- an old classmate of mine (27 years old) asked our math teacher what the difference was between a spoon and a bowl. he was serious too!

Whenever you see your DH- drop everything and just give him a hug. not one of those quick, worthless ones-- the real ones, where you guys melt into each others arms. let the kids cry, let the baby in your tummy kick you in attempt to get DH off of ya lol.. just take that moment, while in each others arms, to just pause everything.

you're right- you cant really discpline a 9 month old. whenever she hurts you, let her know; cry and say owie. make her kiss the booboo and hug you. if she continues to be "mean"- direct her towards something else without you for a little bit. and when she comes to try to play with you, you point to your boo-boo and say owie. anything you do, someone else will find fault in it... even my suggestion- someone will find fault (con)
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2011