Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous about court tomorrow...any advice!?

I have posted a question before about my problem I have been having with my daughters father. Here's a a little recap about what happend between us. He use to be a wonderful daddy! We were together for 5 years! The past couple of months he started drinking and became abusive! I do not want my daughter around that so I want him to have supervised visits until he gets counseling and anger management. He does not have a lawyer and I do! Our custody case is tomorrow at 1:30. I am a bit nervous about what is going to happen. He put a PFA against me and it was denied because I didn't abuse him in any way. I had court Monday for that. Has anybody been in a situation like mine and do you think that my request will be granted? He hasn't seen his little girl in 3 weeks and he's called to see her and I set a day up and he never shows up! Any advice???

Answer Question

Asked by heavensmommy919 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Being that you have a lawyer and he doesn't.....piece of cake for you. I wouldn't be nervous. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • I've been there and chances are the judge will grant your wish. How old is your daughter? I ask because if she's young then more then likely the judge will see things your way. Do you have proof of his abusive behavior? That would help for sure. Also, the judge in my case, although she granted the supervised visits, she had HIS mother supervise them...............which defeated the purpose entirely. So my advice to you is that if there is supervised visits, request that a third party (someone not related to you or him) handle that. I know IL........they have "safe havens" for situations like that. GOOD LUCK!!!

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • I think you have the upper hand since you have the lawyer and he doesn't. Still, I know it is scary even when you are well-perpared and well-represented. I hope it all goes your way. Good luck.

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • I think you can take a deep breath and relax a bit. You have an attorney and the man who represents himself has a fool for a client.
    He is you have proof? Abusive...proof? No show for visits...Proof? If you have any of those you have a better chance of exactly what you want. If you have ALL of those things he has the odds of a snowball in hell surviving. If supervised visitation is ordered it may be for a specified period of time. After which time he may hve to prove he has made progress towards changes. Sometimes judges drag that out for years, sometimes they take away visitation until a plan is met.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • I have proof for everything! My daughter is only a year old too. There is a police report stating he hit me and the police pressed charges against him not me

    Answer by heavensmommy919 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • Just take a deep breath and try to relax. I think the odds are definitely in your favor. Show confidence in court. What you are asking for is totally valid. I think it will work out for you.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 6:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.