Anything wrong with baby einstein?

So my nine month son usually watches one baby einstein video a day while i do the dishes. He sits in his fisher price chair and has a biter biscuit. He absoulutely loves the movies and he has learned to expect the outcomes of scenes and laughes at the monkey puppet every time it comes on the screen. They show pictures of animals and say their names and show the word for the animal on the screen and he even tries to say the names of the animals. Anyway I love the movies but I have one friend who thinks its horrible that he watches these videos, he says it will cause him to develop ADD and be obsessed with TV and whatnot. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on the situation.... As a result of this whole thing I'm starting to feel guilty about putting him in front of the TV (even if it is just for those 35 minutes) but I really dont know how else my dishes would get done :)

MommaRoxs

Asked by MommaRoxs at 6:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think something educational like that and for such a short time frame of 35 min. definitely isn't causing your son any harm. It's allowing you to get some house work done, he's entertained and learning.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Call me what you will, but i put my DD in front of the TV at 6weeks with baby einstien. we bought every DVD they made...threw 3months plus clear up to the 1 yr old DVDs and we would watch them with her and she loves them and learns so much. But some people dont want there kids in front of the TV....So good luck hun
    Anonymous

• abigail (now 3) watched them and her praise baby dvds from day 1. She is now a very intelligent and creative toddler. (are three year olds still toddlers?) anyways, no i don't think it would as long as its not excessive and this is coming from a kindergarten teacher!
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 6:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Thanks guys, I was just wondering if I was the only one or if there was something fundementaly wrong with distracting him so i could get some work done. He really does seem to learn a lot from them... i swear a couple days ago he said monkey.... sometimes Im walking by and I even laugh at the goofy thing... anyway thanks again for the answers
    MommaRoxs

Answer by MommaRoxs at 6:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Well I know that with Baby Einstein specifically there was a study done not too long ago that showed that children that watched it were delayed verbally. However, I will admit that I have let my son watch TV in general since he was a baby and he is just fine.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Some people just like to make you feel bad. Sometimes they dont even know they're doing it. TV is a part of life these days. Older generations probably dont approve of babies seeing TV, but its fine in my opinion. My daughter loves watching my husband play guitar hero. She loves the bright colors and movement (especially when she was just a few months old). You are the mommy. Sometimes you need to remind others of this :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2008