What do you do when your suddenly homeless?

I don't even know where to start. I gave up my apartment and moved in with my boyfriend and things have been REALLY REALLY bad. Now as of today, he told me to get my shit and get out. I have two kids and no place to go. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Follow the above advice. This has happened to me also. I lived in a shelter for almost 2 months. It's not that bad. You are going to be OK. This does not make you a bad mother or a failure. Bad things happen to good people every day. That is why the shelters exist. Try not to beat yourself up about it. Your local church is also a great place to get help. There are so many good people that helped me when I needed it. Just don't be stupid and stubborn like I was. I was to proud to ask for help and that was my lesson to learn from my situation. Good luck momma. Just take it one day at a time and if you can't do it for yourself than do it for your babies.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Do you have women shelters in your area? Contact a local church and I am sure they can help.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Call 211 or your local behavioral health. Tell them you are homeless with two kids. They have family shelters. If you are in contact with a therapist of some sort, a church, or one of the kid's pediatricians, give a call. They may know of resources and can help you call around and get you placed. your local police department may also have contacts.

Good luck mama. I am so sorry. :(
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I agree with others, you need to call a shelter. They can help you get an apartment again and get back on your feet. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• This is terrible.I have no idea what I would do.but your man is a jerk.don't ever take him back.even if he begs.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Wow.. the first thing I would do is cry. I don't handle things well. Try a shelter until you can get on your feet & I certainly hope you have learned not to move in with anyone. You always need something to fall back on.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• first, if he wants to kick you out you CAN fight it, make him evict you, which can take 30 days.. in that time apply for assistance and tell them that by the end of the month you will be homeless they can get you into a shelter until you can find proper housing.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• (UNLESS of course he's dangerous, at which point, just call the local shelter and ask for help from there)
    xxhazeldovexx

• Do you have any friends or family in the area?
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Staying here is not a good idea. Thought he was going to punch me in the face last night and I really don't want to stick around to see if it's going to happen.

I have no family in the area. My dad lives in another state, which I could probably go stay with him if it came down to it, but he is in a small one bedroom and I have two kids.

How do I find a shelter and can their dad take them away because we are there?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2011