discipline

OK my dd is 13 months old and she has been really disobeying lately. I know they are going to disobey but sometimes I feel lke she acts like I am beating her. ( i rarely even tap her on the leg) I want to know if its time to start timeouts. Even when i distact her from what she is doing wrong she goes right back to it!! Shes VERY strong willed already and I was the same way as a child. Do you think putting her in the corner... i mean she gets right back out.. is a good way to let her know she shouldnt do something. ex( what I have been putting her inthe corner for is she is opening her top dresser drawer and hanging from it!) She has a littel nightstand she can play in the drawers b/c Ive taken everything out.. but I cant let her hang from the furniture! Help!

kelsbecca619

Asked by kelsbecca619 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is her closet big enough to put her dresser in their. Out of sit out of mind. Or just put her dresser in a different room temporarily. Tell she is a little older.

Answer by louise2 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I do the timeout. I put her in her room and close the door for like 2 minutes. They say the number of minutes for how old they are. I put her in there and tell her shes not coming out to she can listen to mommy and stop doing.....whatever. i was popping her hand and saying no, but then one day i told her no in a story and slapped herself on the hand and said NO!! I stopped doing that one...:)
    sabinam

Answer by sabinam at 7:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• She's too young for time outs. They dont have a clear sense of consequences at that age. Youll have to wait unutil at least 20 months to do time-outs.
    RockTheSocks

Answer by RockTheSocks at 8:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Your daughter is way too young to fully understand right and wrong. If she is swinging from the furniture she's just found something fun. She has no clue how dangerous it is. Whether its spankings, timeouts, or locking her in a room ( Which I do not recommend. My son's dad used to do that, and now my 2 1/2 year old won't go into a room alone.) she is just too young to understand. They make child safety latches, locks, and ties for a reason. I have them on my cabinets and drawers. They can sometimes be tricky to put in but its well worth it. They also make safety latches to keep furniture from toppling onto your child. I recommend those too if she is climbing on furniture.
    monstersmom1

Answer by monstersmom1 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I agree, I would not do time outs period but especially not in her room. She is too young to even understand what discipline is. We tried spanking our son on the leg around this age but figured out that it did not work so we stopped. Now hes 23 months about to be 2 and it still doesnt work lol. Every kid is different so you just have to find a way to work with her. I kind of started figuring out that when we ignore our son, he stops acting up but not in all cases.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i spanked my son at that age. one pop on the butt was and is all he needed. he understood what he was doing. kids that age are smarter than you think. I didn't start time outs until he was about 15 or 16 months old, cuz that's when he was able to sit still long enough to do them. sometimes i'll have him do time out in his room, it's totally babyproofed. his dresser is in his closet, and there's a lock on it, so he can't get to it. therefore, the only thing in his room is his toybox, and his bed.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I disagree with the previous posters... I started time outs around a year, and they helped a LOT. It has actually been more recently (over 2 yrs old) that they stopped working. 5 seconds per month - no more! And ONLY for a limited number of things. I generally have only one or two really IMPORTANT rules that will warrant a time out. At first, ds surprisingly would stay on his time out brick or corner without moving. When he finally discovered he could get up, I started turning his high chair to the corner and strapping him in.
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 11:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Make sure to end the time out with lots of love. It's there to remove them from the situation and get a feel for consequences of actions (can't have fun) but they're too little to REALLY understand this completely. So make sure that when you pick them up, it's something like "what you DID (give specifics) is never ok, but I love YOU SOOOO much!" If they're able to respond, I've also found it helpful to do it like this instead. "I love you Asher. Is it ok to hit mama? (No) Can you show me gentle touch? Thank you. I love you! I love my gentle boy!"
    forgivenservant

• sainam---you LOCK your child in their room? **IMO**At any age, thats plan wrong. If My DD acts up *and she is a strong willed little 16 month old* I tell her no and the reason why she shouldn't do it *ex--climbing on coffee table "Brylee no no, youll fall and get a boo boo" and move her away from the situation..The second time she does it it's a stern "NO" and the reason why not to do it said sternly..then again remove her from the situation...the third time she gets a small pop on the bottom and a stern no... Your LO is too young to even understand the concept of having to sit still, let alone the concept of being sent to their room.
    kelcee_eric_bry

Answer by kelcee_eric_bry at 1:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Thanks Ladies!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2008