I hired a house keeper and she judged what i had in my house

My house has alot of really old stuff and i love it but here i am going to have a baby anyday now and this house keeper judged what i had in my kitchen, i have never in my life took a look on what this means or if anyone would be hurt from it. my auntie made this doll for me and i put it in my kitchen to show my aunt how proud i am of her makeing neat crafts which yes she is a mix of color and my uncle loves her dearly but what she made was a mamie a dark colored doll with rags on it and it made my maid that i hired not likeing this doll she was telling me it means slavery, and etc just mean i'm raceist and i am not. so what i am asking is what is the best way to tell her i love that doll and my family member made it and it doesn't mean that i am for this kind of race when i am just having for looks or should i just put it away ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• why would you put it away? thats not how you feel about it so who cares?
    Anonymous

• and explain to my auntie that my maid has conflicts with it cause she will be here to check on me after work and when she doesn't see the doll she will have a fit...
    Anonymous

• It's your house! Period! I'd just tell her that your family member made it and it's something that you love dearly. You don't pay her to come in and judge your belongings. And that you are in no way racist.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• a mamie what is that?
    Anonymous

• Just let her know what it means to you and it wasn't ment the way she took it. If she doesn't like that you don't have to put it away. You are not paying her for her opinion? Don't mean to sound rude but it's the truth... Don't change your house b/c someone doesn't like it
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 7:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I agree with everyone else, but I also think its funny that a person who chose to be a 'maid' for her profession, is get angry about a slave looking doll............
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i would tell her deal with it its YOUR house not hers and if you like keep it out then do it . you pay her to clean ect not to make comments on your stuff. i would NEVER i mean NEVER take down a picture or knick knack ect just to please a guest or paid help in my home. i had ppl make comments os some stuff that i have and just ignore them and change the subject if anyone tried to tell me to put something away cause they were offended by it or didnt like it there will be WW III guaranteed. ill be damned if someone told me what i can or cant have period.
    Anonymous

• I think it is rude to go into someone's house and ridicule their belongings. Especially if you are paying them.

Perhaps, giving her way too much benefit of the doubt, if you had sat her down and explained where the doll came from and why you have it, she would not have been offended?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the mammy dolls - if I went into a friend's house and saw one, it would give me pause. I would ask them (in my own sweet way) where they got it and what it meant to them.

And not for nothing - how is anyone so sure the OP isn't racist? Anon is ANON after all.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• find a new maid!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2008