What size diaper should an average/skinny sized 2 year old wear?

One of my daycare kids is 23 mos old and skinny/a little tall for his age. His mom has been sending size 6 diapers for him which seem HUGE on him...when they get wet they hang to his knees and when he plays they slide all over the place.. If I fasten them where they meet they will be almost up to his chest....I want to ask the mom for smaller diapers but don't want to offend her!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They are sold based on the weight of the child. I would think on the average either size 4 or 5 would be a pretty good fit.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• He is probably more like a size 4. I would just be honest. Tell her there might be a leaking issue, and maybe a siz or two smaller would really help you out.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• My son will be 2 at the end of August and he is currently wearing a size 4. Size 6 is WAAAAAYYY too big!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Probably a 4 or 5.. My 7 month old is in a 3.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Neither of my kids ever wore above a size 3, and they weren't potty trained until they were 3. I can't imagine a 2 year old in size 6.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• at age 2 they shouldnt even be in diapers !
    ELMO156

Answer by ELMO156 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• My DS was a little chunky yet at 2 but fit fine int size 4 Luvs during the day (size 5 for overnight).
    Anonymous

• Really Elmo? What should they be in? Most 2 year olds are not ready to be potty trained. Why would you push a child to do something they are not physically able to do yet?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• based off of my kids...no bigger than size 4, unless he's a bit chunky and has reason to need a bigger size. And really, wouldn't getting a smaller size honestly save her a little extra money since there are more diapers in a pack, the smaller the size?
    brit0813

Answer by brit0813 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• depends on how big the 2 year old is put the toddle on the scale on match the measurements with the diapers or go down a size or 2. good luck
    confused1984

Answer by confused1984 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2011