tuna unsafe?!

I have been wanting a good tuna sandwhich and Im 11 weeks pregnant and I know a pregnant woman should stay clear of fish becasue of mercury levels, but for pete's sake cant I indulge on a craving once! what do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Moderation is the key.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You can have tuna like 2 or 3 times a week. I had to eat tuna everyday of the week during my pregnancy because of Gestational Diabetes I couldn't handle to eat meat. When you eat the tuna make sure it's packed in water and chunk light tuna.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 7:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You can eat one or two cans of CHUNK LIGHT tuna a week. Yes, there's mercury in it, but as long as you eat it in moderation, you'll be perfectly fine.

It's albacore tuna that you need to stay away from. The mercury levels in it aren't good for pregnant women.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i eat tuna and i eat sushi it depends on what kind you eat. and moderation.

i dont really worry about mercury in tuna when they inject these shots into us and our family members and they have MORE mercury in them... doesnt really make sense to me!
    Anonymous

• i eat tuna sometimes....
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 7:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Tuna is fine in moderation....and thanks to this thread now I have to go make myself a tuna salad sammich!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 7:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• =O OMG Slinkee.

I thought I was the only one on here that called them "sammiches" :oD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Canned tuna (the cheap stuff) in water is ok while you're pregnant, only 2 cans a wk.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my midwife told the tuna in a can in water is ok once a month
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• its not that you cant eat tuna, its how Much. my dr. told me dont go over a couple of cans a week.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008