I Have a 6month old and he will not sleep unless i hold him.

What can i doo to help this problem? I cant stand to let him cry it hurts me.

GumGurl21

Asked by GumGurl21 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He needs to cry. He needs to learn how to be independent. Its hard to be a mom in situations like this, but you need to grow a pair, so that he can develop a sense of self and learn to fall asleep on his own. Sorry if I sound harsh...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• LovinMyMikayla is right. It's called tough love. We're going through it right now too, but ours is only two months. I LOVE holding Talon, and it kills me when he cries. And it seems the only way he wants to go to sleep or even be calm is if we're holding him, usually moving around, but sometimes just the fact that we're touching his skin calms him. While I love this bonding time, I can't spend all day doing this. I need me time, and there are important things that I have to accomplish during the day.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• At 6 months, yours should be able to be intrigued by toys. You could start by having him in his bouncer chair, or on the ground near you...and play with him. Let him know that you're still around and able to be beside him, even though you're not going to pick him up. He will scream at first, but will learn that you're not abandoning him. Best of luck to you, stay strong!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Needing to cry .... hmmmmmmmmmm

Crying = independence ..... hmmmmmmmm

Anonymous

• Moms be aware that babies prior to around 8 months or so do not have a grasp on object permanence. Leaving them to cry to form independence has the opposite effect. Baby can not mentally grasp that you are still with them but out of sight. They think you are gone for good so by allowing them to cry for you they are truly crying for their life as far as they are concerned and this can lead to attachment / abandonment issues. I don't know about tough love but it sure is tough.

Anonymous

• Con't

"By five or six months old, though, babies will often fuss and cry when their parents attempt to leave them, believing that they have disappeared. It can take a few more months for them to understand that while they may not be able to see their mum, she still exists. This ability is called object permanence." http://www.kidsdevelopment.co.uk/ObjectPermanenceInfants.html

Anonymous

• was he born at night time
    Anonymous

• sleep with him I think is the best thing to do. I have a 5 month old (almost 6 months) and he also has a hard time sleeping without me. I co-sleep with him and my 2 year old. Its the best way to get some sleep and also gives him the security he needs. Remember that he literally attached to you for nine months..... hearing your voice and feeling your heartbeat. Its takes time for them to adjust to the new world and they need that security from you.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• and no... he does not need to cry, he does not need to learn independence at that age. When the time is appropriate he will make those steps to being independent on his own. As long as he has a mom who is there when he needs him and gives him that security he will be confident enough to get that independence at the appropriate time/age.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• let him cry for 2-3 minutes, then come back and tell him you love him but its bedtime, tuck him in and leave(he will cry) wait 5-7minutes, go back in and repeat, this, he will be scared that you will not come back, if you comtinue this he will understand that you are still there for her but he needs to sleep in his bed :) i had to do it for my daughter as well, dont worry, they usually don't cry past 10 minutes, hope i could be of some help, good luck! : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008