School Cancelations?

How much snow does it take for them to cancel the schools in your area?
We have a foot and half and they were still open today

watersgirls

Asked by watersgirls at 7:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• CRAZY WEATHER WE ALL HAD!!! THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES!!!!!!!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Crap, they cancelled schools here yesterday b/c there was a chance of snow...no joke lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Snow...what snow? I live North of the Dallas area and we don't really know what snow is here...LOL. We can have the threat of sleet in the weather forecast...not get it...and still school is canceled. Go figure!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I'm in eastern PA, and we're anticipating 4-8 inches of snow tomorrow. I expect school to be canceled! But, our districts have canceled, delayed openings, and early dismissals when there is just a THREAT of ice storms or snow!

I can count at least half a dozen times in the past 3 years that school was canceled due to snow/ice, and it was PERFECTLY SUNNY ALL DAY! lol
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I live in virginia beach. You just mention the word snow and everything shuts down!
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 7:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• They called me yesterday canceling school for tomarrow cause it MIGHT snow..... im in Illinois and if we have just a few inches we dont go to school or they let them out early!!! Im from wyoming and we would have a blowing ass blizzard and 6 ft outside and still have to go to school from kindergarten to graduation we had 1 snow day and that was because it was so bad they kept having to scoop the doorways out for us to get in and out the day before so they called the next day off so they could get it cleaned up!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I say about 6 inches, but it is also in the timing of the storm. If they can make a dent in cleaning up the roads then they can be open. I'm in a crazy district. We've been open when no one else is. I'm hoping we are closed tomorrow.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• if there was 6 inches or more of snow that feel during the night, they would cancel schools. we live in a very rural area so most of the kids live on back roads that arent cleared until later in the day after the highways are taken care of. They will also let school out early if there is blowing/drifting snow. We are suppose to get about 3 inches of ice and then 4-8 inches of snow on top of that tonight. We will see how many schools are closed or delayed tomorrow. oh i live in northern IN
    MommyMerKinsX2

Answer by MommyMerKinsX2 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I live in Michigan and it really depends on whether or not the plows have been out. They NEVER cancel school the night before thinking it will still be bad...I mean it would have to be seriously screwed up outside for that to happen. We had 6 inches the other day and school was open. We're expecting a major storm tonight and they haven't called anything off, though I'm sure the kids would love an extra day tacked on to their Christmas break!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We just got 3 days in a row for.....NOTHING! Lol. The first day, we had a solid inch of ice on everything. Then day 2, was partially scraped up, but we have a lot of country and back-roads, so the schools stayed closed for them. Then today, day 3, it was 45 degrees and EVERYTHING was melted...I'm not really sure why they closed LOL! I think the superintendent just wanted an extended Christmas vaca! But usually as soon as 1 little flake falls from the sky, the schools shut down immediately. This is in KY.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008