How can i get rid of Head Lice when the over counter stuff isn't working?

We've tried the RID, The Store brand, even gone to the Doctor...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Health

• i heard mayo works.
    SeeUInTheFuture

Answer by SeeUInTheFuture at 8:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Well, mayo doesnt kill them, some of the eggs though will stick to the mayo though. Boys or girls? For my boys we shaved their heads, for my DD I treated her hair every 4 days just to be sure and did the comb and tweezer search 2 times a day. EVERYTHING had to be washed....linens, stuffed animals. Use the spray on the couches and mattresses. I even shampooed my carpets!!
    jennylynn22003

Answer by jennylynn22003 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• If you soak their hair in Olive Oil for about 3 hours, wash it out thouroughly with lice shampoo twice.(rinse, shampoo,rinse,shampoo,rinse). Than you cake mayo on your head, for 7 hours. Make sure you put saran wrap on the head, so the mayo is compressed against their head. Than if you want, you put a shower cap on. After 7 hours, wash with lice shampoo twice. There is a comb available at Wal-Mart or CVS Pharmacy that is electric. It zaps the lice, as the hair is combed. No, you don't feel the zap....As far as the house goes, you need to put any and every fabric or plush into a black trash bag for 3 days. Than wash whatever can be washed. Spray the furniture with lice-killing spray....I know this is intense, but it worked for my sisters, after months of trying to get rid of them. Its basically using every trick in the book, all at the same time.
    amazon_jane21

Answer by amazon_jane21 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• wash everything and dry everything you can stuff in the dryer for at least an hour. You can bomb your house with bug bombs to help kill anything in the house and do it all over again in 7 day incraments until the problem is completely gone for two weeks. As for on your child this sounds weird but our doc had us use dog shampoo when my daughter brought it home from school and nothing else would work. We used it like every other day intil problem solved and you may need to check friends to see where they are getting it from. Good luck and good advice jennylynn22003.
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Gosh, it sounds like a war. 7 hours, 7 days.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• VINEGAR! It shrinks the hair follicles. Pour vinegar on hair and then comb out, it takes patience but all the lice will fall right off, they can't cling on.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Call your doctor and let him/her call you in a prescription for stuff that really works. Tell him how many are in the household so everyone can use it and put some in the laundry for the towels, sheets, etc. Also put the pillows in plastic bags and tighten them for several days. If you can, dry the sheets and towels out in the hot sun.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• It's not a easy thing to get rid of head lice. Make sure you wash everything otherwise you will just get reinfected with the critters. If the overthecounter products aren't working ask your doctor what you should use. I have had it once and I used vinegar and chlorox but not at the same time...and the chlorox was with water.
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• The perfectr solution that I have found is GARLIC thus my name eat it raw or take a supplement or rub it on the hair or all of the above. It does the job and is proven scientifically to kill lice and their eggs 100%
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 12:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Natural Shampoo works well for lice--I would add some extra tea tree oil to it. I can tell you how to get it.
    MentorByDesign

Answer by MentorByDesign at 2:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2008