Blood Clot Question?

How do blood clots form? I'm 35 weeks pregnant and I take heparin to thin my blood along with baby aspirin. I remember my doctor telling me to be careful about bumping my legs and things, but not sure if that was just because of brusing. Well I got hit pretty hard on the side on my knee, is that something that can lead to a blood clot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• First question is why are you on heparin. Is there a history of clots?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If you are on a " blood thinner" then you bleed more easily than normal. When you get a bruise it is "bleeding" under the skin. So, if you are on heparin then you might not clot as easily as you would otherwise.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I meant to say that "blood thinners" don't actually "thin" the blood. What it does is it disrupts the clotting cascade and slows your clotting ability down. Therefore, you are less liking to have any issues with "throwing clots" and having a dire situation.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am on heprin aswell because i have blood clots in both calfs..... Anyway if you hit the side of your knee i wouldnt worry too much just make sure you dont miss a shot what so ever if it were in your calfs then yea you might form a clot from a good bump!! I fell down my stairs in my house about a month ago and i hit my calf really bad and I think that im forming another from that.... O joy!!! Anyway just watch it and take those shots!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Spelling??? is it Calves or calfs?? sorry if i mispelled it!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If you have a history of atherosclerosis (fatty deposits), arteriosclerosis (calcium deposits), or hypertension, you ARE at risk of developing blood clots more frequently. Blood clots are the fatty or calcium deposits that break off from the artery and travel through your blood stream, until they get stuck in a smaller artery to narrow to pass through.

Any injury that results in swelling or bruising MAY cause the release of a fatty or calcium hardened "clot" into your bloodstream. Heparin helps to thin your blood to lessen the risk of a clot forming or detaching from artery walls. You likely have high cholesterol levels and blood that is comprised of High Density Lipoproteins (HDL) "bad cholesterol."

(continued below)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If you sustained any swelling or bruising, given your health history I would call your doctor to be sure--ESPECIALLY because you are pregnant, and a clot COULD find it's way to an small artery supplying your placenta! They can do a sonogram on your legs to see if any clots have been released.
    LoriKeet