Has anyone else been so worried about their child that they constantly think something bad might happen?

What is wrong with me? I am so afraid that something bad is going to happen to my child. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm not around a lot right now because I'm finishing up nursing school and she is always with a sitter. I always have bad thoughts cross my mind and I pixture it and it makes me sick to my stomach and I start to cry and pray that my daughter stays safe. I tend to keep her close to me a lot because I'm afraid that something bad might happen. She is my only child and she is 21 months. Is there something wrong with me?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm the same! DS is 7 months, and I can't leave anyone baby sit for longer than a couple of hours, I HATE leaving him with someone else, I was thinking earlier about him starting on finger food, and I thought to myself: 'Oh my God, what if he chokes? What if food gets stuck in his throat and I can't get it out?' I cried with the thought, I'm very paranoid and over protective when it comes to my son.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 5:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• It is due to nursing school.. So many of my class mates and co-workers went through the same thing.. You learn all about scary diseases and you see people that have had very bad accidents, etc.. so it makes you think and worry...

Try and relax, are you putting her in harms way? Do you do things that could bring harm to her? If you answered NO, you are doing everything you can to protect her.. Try and relax, enjoy your baby. If this continues, I would see your PCP about anxiety, it can get out of hand. Just do the best you can with what you can control, fear will strip your joy away in a heartbeat..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I do!! All the time.. I get myself sick over thinking about them potentially getting cancer or hit by a car, or choking on something. I'm a worry wart! I freak out about the windows in my house and luckily have a freind who literally created the Angel Guard Window Guards, so I have them throughout my house. We live in the house of stairs and I worry that's how I'll die someday, or the kids will break their legs falling! WORRY!!! I used to wake up in the middle of the night thinking that Ashton wasn't breathing and begin to do mouth to mouth!!! FREAK!!
    I am working on these things and have to not project my thoughts!
    AmyLeah73

Answer by AmyLeah73 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I'm a super-duper worrier (and a nurse, lol). When my DD was an infant, I wouldn't even let my husband carry her outside onto our terrace - I made him take her out in the car seat! And now that she is over 24 months, I've finally stopped worrying about SIDS if she sleeps a little longer than usual. You're definitely not alone.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 7:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• me too. i still constantly worry about all mine. if i dont have to, i dont leave them with a sitter. if my 5 yr old does something weird or says something weird. i question him. i dont even let my 15 yr old babysit. i feel like i can onlyprotect them if im with them. im so scared of my 5 yr old going to kindergarten because what if the teacher is mean to him. i think if anything happens, you feel like you've failed them as a parent.
    dramaMama407

Answer by dramaMama407 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• I'm worried about all the normal stuff but I mean I have visions of terrible things happening. Is that normal?
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• i am the same way. i had a nightmare when my second daughter was little. she had eal curly hair looked like a doll. her dad always played what i called rough with her and i used to yell at him all the time for it. i dreamed her head popped off like a doll luckily in dream no blood but to this day i worry about her head and neck
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2011