Santa?

My DD4 told everyone at Thanksgiving dinner that Santa is make-believe...including breaking it to her 8 y/o sister. Now she says Santa is coming. The next day, he's just make believe...Santa's bringing presents, but does anyone else have these problems with Santa being real one day and not the next?

sadfairytale

Asked by sadfairytale at 8:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My husband knew at 3 that Santa was not real and told his older brother who was 6. Your child may be one that is bright and catches on early. So perhaps asking him if he wants to believe in Santa Claus may be the better way to go. As in sitting down and explaining the story behind St. Nick and why he delivered all the gifts to boys and girls of the villiage he lived in. Its a beautiful story. Then ask your child if he wants to believe in the spirit of Santa Claus. I just read the story of Polar Express to my toddler and at the end he looked at me and said, "I believe." So believing can mean believing the man is real or believing in the spirit of the story. Let your son decide which one he wants to go with.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If she is having that much trouble I would tell her sweetie. Let her know it is like playing pretend.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Well, I think believing is half the fun. When you believe in something, then it's real. My 9 yr. old son is kinda on the fence about things too, but I just remind him that Christmas is a magical time, anything's possible- and he can't deny that.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My 7 yo is torn about the tooth fairy. He doesn't understand why this woman would want his old teeth. I would tell her the truth, but remind her how much fun and joy the idea brought to her so she doesn't spoil it for the others.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You can use this if you like.

http://www.llerrah.com/truemeaningofchristmas.htm

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• thats why i never let my daughter who is now 4 believe in santa..santa is someone who comes around at christmas so that you can have your picture taken with him..at tthe verrrry least he is someone who helps deliver toys and stuff to children/families in need
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• cont...Of course I just got back from dinner with my son's babysitter and her mother. His babysitter is now a freshman in college. I just learned that she really believed in Santa until she was 13. I thought that was pretty wild. She only figured it out because that was her dad's handwritting that Santa responded in and then asked if there was no Santa. It was sweet to know that there is innocence out there. Maybe that is what is so wonderful about the idea of Santa and those who believe...the innocence and simple sweetness of it all. As well as for the ones who believe there is always hope. Hope that Santa can answer their wishes and prayers.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i worry about this: once my kid-or any kid, figures these things out, how do i make sure that he doesn't ruin the fun for the other kids. the world itself seems to be more and more jaded. santa and make-believe transition easily into the concept of "faith." how will this survive? I plan to tell him that santa is the personification of the giving spirit of Christmas and although the man in red may not actually live at the North Pole, He does live in our hearts. Like Jesus, Santa doesn't care who you are or where you live, but gives love and kindness freely. The idea of Santa is just a fun, baby step way to teach children about the concept of love and giving that is celebrated most during the Christmas season.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 2:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• What I told the children at the daycare I used to work at when one of the kids told everyone that Santa wasn't real (you should have see all the little tear filled eyes!) was that Santa was magical and needed children to believe in him... and if you don't believe then Santa doesn't come anymore. Which made everyone happy... because the child who spilled the beans didn't get presents from Santa... so he couldn't say much about that one.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2008