Checking your own cervix?

A friend of mine said that she was able to check her own cervix to tell how far dialated she was. Personally I don't know if she actually did but I'm wondering if anyone else has or if it's even possible.

2murphyboys

Asked by 2murphyboys at 8:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It is possible. I don't ever see myself doing it, but I don't really want to know how dilated I am. I am taking a "wait until the feeling is there" approach to pushing.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If little David wasn't sitting on a nerve in my back I'd be more willing to wait. But I tell ya I'm ready for my epidural NOW! lol. Do you know how? Are there certaint qualifications you have to have (i.e. really long arms) or anything?
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Just be able to reach in and feel where your cervix is. 1 cm dilated is 1 finger tip, 2 cm is 2 fingers (closed), 3 cm is 2 fingers spread... I believe. If you can't feel that then your mucus plug is still in place. I am not exactly sure what it feels like or where it is, but I believe that it will be high if you aren't effaced and lower if you are.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Have you reached your due date?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Not yet but my doc checked today and I'm 2 cm and 25%. I was just wondering how to do it because I'm going to be doing some major walking and hard labor over the next couple days and I want to know if it's worth it or not. I've only got 3 wks left and apparently anytime 3 wks before or 2 wks after is considered "On-Time".
    Thanks
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yep... I was going to say if you to your due date there is some stuff you can do, but if you are only 37 weeks, then you could be dilated for the next 2 or 3 weeks and the baby wait. I was 1 cm dilated and 75% for 2 weeks before my due date. I actually went to 1 day shy of 41 weeks. For a nerve issue, I would see a chiropractor. Not only will it make you feel better now, but can help you with your labor.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• That is quite an acrobatic feat! I could barely wipe when i got closer to my due date lol
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I checked with all 3 of mine. It is not that hard, it will be the only thing you feel up there. If the baby is still high, just squat while standing on the floor, it will move everything down a little more. It is just a gestimate as to how much, rule of thumb is 1 cm per fingertip.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2008