Names.....

I was reading a question the other day about a woman using her hubby's name for her baby. And one of the responses was that people who name their baby after their hubby are unoriginal. This really pissed me off. I named my son after my husband because I love my hubby he is a great man and I wanted to honor him by naming my son after him like he wished. What do you think about people naming their child after a family member? Aren't we technically all unoriginal then, because someone somewheremost likely has the name your using for your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Just because someone has the same first name it doesn't mean they don't have their own identity. My son is named after my husband doesn't mean we don't treat him like he's his own little person. Nor do we expect him to be my husband or just like my husband because that's impossible, he's half me so he could never be just like my husband. He maybe similar to him but that's just the way he was going to be. Not because we expect him to be anything he will be who he is reguardless of his name.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I personally am not crazy about the concept, as in, I personally wouldn't name my child after a family member (my husband feels the same way). I don't care what other people name their kids though, my brother is named after my dad.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It's tradition in a lot of places. We didn't do it, but I suggested it to hubby. My brother is named after my dad. There's nothing wrong with it. It's kind of sweet, actually.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We named our son after my DH and FIL. They all have the same initials, DTC, same first name, and all three have different middle names. My DH and FIL go by thier first names, whereas my DS goes by his middle name, so it doesn't get too confusing. To top it off, BIL is thinking about naming his son with the DTC as well, having DH and FIL's first name and BIL middle name, since it's a T middle name and call the baby by the middle name.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 9:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I named my son Dennis Matthew after his father who is partially named after his father who is Dennis Carl. So that makes 3 Dennis' but my son is technically a Jr and my hubby isn't. I like naming my son after my hubby and my brother is also named after my father. Don't let people bother you. And you are right, technically we are all unoriginal because it's not like we came up with the names we are using.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think it's a nice tradition if you like the name also. I don't believe in doing it just for the sake of having a "junior". My son's middle name is Patrick which is my husband's first name and his dad's first name. We used it because it is a family name and because I love the name.
    Our youngest daughter is named after my mom and one of her older sisters. My mom died in 2000. My daughter was born in 2006 and I named her Nora Glenn. My mom's name was Glenna and she was named after her grandfather, Glen, and asked me to carry on the tradition. My aunt's name is Nora and I just love that name so now we have two Noras in the family. And my aunt was honored.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i wouldnt ever use hubbys first name as my childs first name..but i would maybe use it as a middle name..im not a huge fan of naming kids after people in the family...middle names ok..but not first...i think the first should be something new for the baby..to me its like, if ya name your kid after a family member its like youre wanting/making the kid try and grow up to be the same as that other person..thats great if you wanna "honor" that person..but i dunno..i think in a sense its pressure on the kid..makes the kid feel as if they have to "live up" to some sort of expectation...and i dont think thats right...or fair...but thats MY opinion
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Alexis, that's why we use our sons middle name. I refused to have my son constantly compared to my DH. My In-laws do it all the time, they compare my DH to his father and now are trying to do it to my DS. Thank goodness we only see them 1-2 times a year.
    I want my kids to be their own people,even if they do look like a parent, it's important to not be constantly compared to that parent.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't do it for a first name because I think everyone deserves their own identity, but I would do it for a middle name I think that is very endearing
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• When it comes to names I like tradition....and I think names are important and can be a great way to honor someome you love and admire. I named both of my kids "versions" of my parents' names because I loved the idea and I loved the names. Actually, when it comes to names I think too much "originality" can be more of a problem....
    And I agree it has nothing to do with a kid's identity....the name even sounds different when it is applied to another person. Most names have been around a while...
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:32 AM on Dec. 19, 2008