Viral Fever?

My LO (16 months) had a high fever (well, it was 101, his first real fever). By 2 pm today it was up to 102.9, the doctor tested for the flu (negative) and his white cell count. She said it was just a viral fever and is highly contagious! Has anyone heard of this?

Austinsmom35

Asked by Austinsmom35 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Health

• All viruses are contagious. They are viruses.

You should think of a fever as a sign of illness... not the illness itself. In in other words the fever tells you something else is giong on. like a virus...

Fever becomes a problem for children at about 104-105 and in adults about 103. Treat anything above 100 with tylenol and or motrin. The problem happens when the proteins in your body sort of cook or "de-nature" and then they can't do their jobs..

there is not much you can do to kill a virus b/c its not really living in the first place... they usually run their course so to speak in about 7-10 days. Just give plenty of water adn treat the fever for comfort.

Hope your little one feels better!!
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 11:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My daughter had a couple of viral infections when she was younger. The doctor said that they had to run their course. She also said that they weren't contagious. She was around other children during these times and they never got sick. She also developed a rash when the infection was almost over, so don't freak out if that happens! GL! I hope your LO feels better soon!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yep, check keeping checking the temp, my pedi said as long as it less than 105 it's OK.
    Anonymous

• My daughters school had the viral fever pass through it. It hit one kid after another. It was like a 48 hour deal for the child with it. My daughter had it, then my son got it, and all of our friends kids had it, etc.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My DD has this right now...started saturday night and went up to 104.8 right now shes 101.5 my main worry is shes not eating well at all....anyone experience that along with the fever? What can i do? should i get her periasure or something?
    amberlysmomma

Answer by amberlysmomma at 10:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2008