How did you start baby food with your infant?

My daughter just turned five months yesterday. I've been giving her rice cereal for the once a day for the past month and she likes it. Some of what I've read says you should start off with cereal then move to veggies at six months the fruits at eight months. Other stuff has said give stage 1 to supported sitters, stage 2 to indenpendant sitters (she's almost there) and so on. I really think she's ready to move on. What did you do with your kids?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Btw, I'm a lazy cook and terrible housekeeper, it really was easy. The ONLY annoyance was remembering to steam the carrots/broccoli, etc before I needed them. But even then, do an enormous batch, freeze, and it's all good.
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 10:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think if she's doing fine with the cereal, move on to the stage 1 veggies. The reason you start with veggies is because the fruit is sweet, and they will develop a sweet tooth. I never followed any chart, I just went with what I thought my kids were ready for.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Never used cereal. Started with mashed banana at six months, moved on to avocado, peas, potatoes, and so on. Didn't use the processed stuff, nor did I go to a lot of extra work. He ate what we ate.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I mix my son's baby food like this ... 1 oz baby food with 1 oz formula. Then after a little while I added a teaspoon of cereal to that mix. Now that his system is okay, I mix 2 oz baby food and 1.5 oz formula and 2 tsp of cereal. I also blended ripe bananas in the blender and added it to his veggie baby food and he loved it. Will do it with apples next, just boil them down. You can make your own baby food with fresh fruit and veggies like this. You can even freeze them in ice cube trays, which are about 1 oz, then pop them out and store them in zip lock baggies until ready to thaw and eat. Any questions, msg me or look up some websites for it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My lil one wont be 5 months till Jan 4th but the dr has him on veggies,just mix it with cereal and offer it to her.If she likes it continue if not no big deal try again later.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 10:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Started w/ avacado at 6 mo - doc said it's the best brain food out there! He LOVED it. Mango, Sweet Potato... awesome stuff. Banana and applesauce, all easy to mash. I never used any store bought at all. Even the grains are incredibly easy - throw them in a grinder and make your own cereal with all sorts of grains and legumes! SO much cheaper, too. My son will eat anything, no picky eating at all. When he was a year and a half, he preferred green bean casserole over apple crisp!

I HIGHLY recommend "Super Baby Food"
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 10:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my little one has been on fruits and veggies since she was 4 months old and loves it! We started with fruits first and she loves veggies now also!
    blueeyes71883

Answer by blueeyes71883 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008