What do you do in this situation?

My son is about to be 2 this Saturday and my husband and I are trying to get him back in his crib again in bedroom but I just found out that he knows how to get out of it. I lowered the bed as low as it can go and I pull the side of the crib up all the way but he still got out of it. Im actually kind of shocked cause I have seen him crawl inside of the crib but he always would whine for me to get him out. Do you keep putting them back in the crib or just let them get in bed with you? For the most part he stays asleep all night long but there have been a couple of nights that hes crawled out and showed up at our bedroom door.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Once my son could get in and out of the crib, we moved him to a toddler bed...good luck
    mom2AJandDamien

Answer by mom2AJandDamien at 9:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Time for a big boy bed, don't let him get in your bed.
    Anonymous

• Every one else tells me to keep him in the crib untill hes 3 but It doesnt matter if hes in a toddler bed or his crib right now cause he can get out of both. Make sense? Im just trying to see what other do in this situation. I know your supposed to put them back in there bed but is it so bad to let them get in bed with you?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Well my daughter has been in a full size bed for months and loves it, but sometimes she doesnt want to be in bed. We just keep reinforcing it. We lay her back down follow the rituals of goodnight and so on. If she comes running out, back in she goes and so on. Eventualy she gets tired and falls asleep. Our daughter never wants to sleep with us. but I dont think its bad but I do think you should have not co-slept with him for so long. You are going to want some time with your husband in bed so you should just keep putting him back to bed. I agree about getting a big boy bed, because its dangerous if hes climbing in and out of his crib. He will catch on. Your the boss! Good luck!
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 9:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I put my son in a big boy bed at 18 months. I left the closet light on so he would not get scared. I also put one of those child lock things on the door knob so he could not sneak into my bed at night. Now he is 4 and I took the lock off the door, he does not come out of his room unless he has to go potty, or if my husband or myself is up. My DD is only one I hope it will work for her too!
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Unfortunately, my son knows how to take those safety locks off the door and Im sure he could climb over a baby gate as well lol. The co sleeping isn't so bad and it actually works for many family but are bed is not big enough for all of us and were trying for another baby so I really want to find a way to get him to stay in his crib. I feel really bad though letting him cry in his crib but its probably the only way to go. Not to mention how many times I will have to keep wakeing up to put him back in the crib. Hopefully it works though. Thanks ladies for your advice.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Our son did the same...we weren't ready to move him to a toddler bed yet...we were moving and didn't want to move and change his bed at the same time. We just kept putting him back in his crib and eventually he stopped trying to get out at night, but in the morning he would hop out and head to our room if I didn't get there quick enough. If you aren't ready to make the switch you could always put a gate at his door so that at least he wouldn't be able to wander too far while you are sleeping and maybe he'd realize there was no where to go when he jumps out.
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 10:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• im a co-sleeper..and if i wouldve known that she would still..STILL be sleeping wrapped up in my arms at 19 months old{and no sign of relief}lol i can tell you i wouldve thought twice..so basically my advice is to not let him in your bed or you'll regret it..gl
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• don't let him in your bed..i would crawl in bed w my parents till i was an early teenager..big boy bed..my 2 yr old did the same thing and that was the only solution
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• He'd probably do well with a big boy bed once he got used to it and have you tried the safety locks that go around the entire doorknob? He may not be able to get that one off. Good luck.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008