Coughing and Is very congested.

I have a 1 month old daughter and for the last week she has been coughing and her nose is stuffed and she is really congested. I have called her ped. she has even been to the ER and they have given me nothing, because she is also vomiting like Projecting her vomit. they said it was an allergy to the milk well they have changed milks 4 times and she is still doing it. She is now on Hypoallergenic milk and still throwing up. she can only keep pedialite down. The only thing i am trying to figure out is how to relieve some of the congestion so she can breathe and sleep. Is there anything over the counter to give to her?????? And we have suctioned her nose and its not helping at all.

savannah_rose20

Asked by savannah_rose20 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Have you tried putting a drop or two of saline down each nostril and suction. The saline will loosen some of the congestion in the nose and make it easier to suction. Otherwise, you might try turning on the shower (hot) and letting it steam the bathroom while sitting in there for approx. 20-30 min. It might loosen up some congestion.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• A week is a while for a little baby like that to have a cold...................get a second opinion (or a third in your case!)
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Put metholatum on her chest, make sure you have a humidifier in her room too.

As for the vomiting, I would def. see a doctor in the morning! That can be dangerous for such a young baby
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 12:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Call your doctor back. Insist that you have your baby seen again. Something must be wrong if it has already been a week. As for over the counter...no. Do not give her anything unless the doctor says to. You are not supposed to give anything for cold symptoms to children under 6 years old. Do you have one of those "booger suckers" (I know gross)? That helps clear her nose out. Poor baby, she needs to get to the doctor.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 12:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yes you need to get another opinion, babies can become dehydrated in a matter of hours, as for the congestion try a vaporizer with some vicks in it. They also make Vicks for babies.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 3:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Get her seen again for the vomiting!

For the nasal congestion and coughing...nothing over the counter!! Elevate her head, run a humidifier (cool mist works for some, steam works better for some), steam in the bathroom and suction, Tylenol for discomfort.

It could be tied in with the vomiting....It does take about a week for a change in formulas to settle in their stomachs, but if she's projectile vomiting...Don't give her anything but her formula, make sure it's been a while since she's thrown up and give her a LITTLE bit of formula. Not a full feeding. Does the amount make a difference? If it's a milk allergy, have they told you to try soy yet? My oldest was on soy for 9 months but for other reasons...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would bring her in and have her checked out by a new doctor.
    Have them test for RSV and Influnza.
    With her vomiting... is it with coughing or just whenever? Is it normal baby vomit or all mucous? If it's with coughing- it just happens. If it's mucous- it's because it's draining into her tummy and making her feel sick. But if it's neither of those and still projectile, I would also have her looked at for Pyloric Stenosis if this is a new problem for her too.
    Also, if it's an allergy to her formula... Neocate is probably the least allergenic you can go
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Yep u need to take her back in even if it's for a weight check. It could be that she's got acid reflux b/c my dd threw up every time i bf her and they tried to tell me I shouldn't bf her but I told them just what I thought they could do.........lol As for the congestion..........NOOOOOOOOOOOOO do NOT give anything over the counter.......don't do it please. And DON"T put the vaporub stuff on her chest. Put it either on her feet and put socks on, or put it on her socks and then wrap her up. That stuff might irritate her lil skin. You might even put some on her blanket where she can't get it in her mouth. Run a vaporizer or humidifier and put something under the mattress a lil bit to elevate her precious head, but not too much elevation b/c that could cause her to roll and we don't want that. But there's not much you can do unfortunately, just hang in there momma!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 8:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Just in case anyone wants to know she was taken finally to Rainbows babys and children hospital cause she had pnemonia
    savannah_rose20

Answer by savannah_rose20 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2008