My daughter screams in her sleep.

When my 8 year old daughter has a really busy day or stays up really late and is really tired when she goes to bed she SCREAMS in her sleep. Not just a little yell but ear piercing screams! This has been going on since she was probably 1 1/2 or so. We have gotten use to it but when someone stays the night or we stay somewhere it is quite shocking to those people. Lol. She often talks in her sleep, gibberish and real words. Not too long ago she was complaining of nightmares and we have seemed to get rid of those with dreamcatchers and she hasn't complained in quite a while about them.

Does anyone else have this problem with their children? I'm afraid that she is such an active sleeper that this might lead to sleepwalking. Does your child sleepwalk?

Crzymom010203

Asked by Crzymom010203 at 5:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• does she REMEMBER this in the morning? If not, it's likely night terrors. And that can lead to sleepwalking, which is stressful/scary esp. if you have stairs. Be on alert, put some jingle bells on her doorknob at night maybe.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Thanks hibbingmom. She does not remember when any of this happens. Sometimes when she talks in her sleep I'll tell her the next morning what she said and she'll tell me that she was having a dream about something and it will relate I'm some way to what she said in her sleep. She has no idea when she is screaming in her sleep. It wakes me up but she sleeps right through it! I just can't believe that shes getting very much rest the way she sleeps, with the screaming, talking, tossing and turning she has to be tired when she wakes up! I didn't even think about the stairs! We have a lot of stairs! I think the jingle bells are a great idea. We will be heading to the craft store tomorrow :)
    Crzymom010203

Comment by Crzymom010203 (original poster) at 6:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Is she watching to much TV maybe? A little girl I use to watch as a teen, would do this it sounds scary. Have you taken her to see a doctor? I would have your house blessed to also, that's not normal somethings scaring her. I talk and yell in my sleep sometimes mostly when I'm super stressed out, and done dumb stuff like running down the steps with my newborn because I thought something was wrong with her, my mom looked at me and her and said shes sleeping go back to sleep. She actually had to start sleeping in my room because of it and I would wake her up to ask her questions but I was still asleep. I was young when I had her so it was stressful. Jingle bells sound like a good idea also those baby gates that attach to the wall, I think you have to pull up or squeeze the handle to open them I would get one of them and put bells on that too. I hope things get better for her and your family!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• My daughter started doing the same thing at 1 1/2 much to my utter shock LOL.We also used different methods to help her like dreamcatchers and such.Mostly i think they do it when they are overtired more like when weve had an especially busy day or a new outing around ppl that are new to her.Mayb e try setting aside a time during the day for a nap or some nice quiet time can help thats what i've done and it has helped my DD significantly.I too was worried about sleepwalking with her cause my oldest DS was a sleepwalker but i think your DD will be fine since you are such a light sleeper. Good Luck!
    Hollyann126

Answer by Hollyann126 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• I use to do the same thing including sleepwalking. It lasted a year for me. My mother put up bells on the doors and put up a child gate at the areas which I could possible hurt myself without knowing. The dog would always walk up and bark when I'd sleepwalk as well. They never woke me up they would just keep an eye on me. It wasn't until I got into the fridge while sleepwalking that they put up the gates. Since you do have stairs I'd def put up a gate there. Good luck!!
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 10:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Our youngest has had night terrors since he was a baby. He's 7 yrs old now, and they aren't as often. I too find he does it more when he's over tired and gets to bed late. His pediatrician said not to wake him, and just let it go. I ask him if he remember screaming and he always says no. If you're really concerned maybe see her Dr to get some more insight.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• we delt with night terrors also, and alll you can do is comfort them, they have to grow out of it
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• My niece sleep walked and ended up trying to go out the front door. She could unlock it and everything but the just dont remember. My son screams and crys at night and the doctor says its because he's not sleeping well because he's so active during the day. Its his brain just not shutting off but his body is exhausted. When its time for our bed time routine we have to start it 2hrs before bed and do NOTHING excitable and dont watch tv before bed.
    dedicatedmama2

Answer by dedicatedmama2 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2011

• This sounds like classic night terrors. As long as you can keep her safe, not letting her go down stairs etc. she will out grow it. One of my friend's sons has them and his doctor reccomended Melatonin, but check with your Doctor first. It is so hard to deal with and it can be frightening, you have my sympathy. Also, the more strict you are with her bedtime, the better it will be. Good Luck/
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 1:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2011