Help please

I have a 1 month old daughter and for the last week she has been coughing and her nose is stuffed and she is really congested. I have called her ped. she has even been to the ER and they have given me nothing, because she is also vomiting like Projecting her vomit. they said it was an allergy to the milk well they have changed milks 4 times and she is still doing it. She is now on Hypoallergenic milk and still throwing up. she can only keep pedialite down. The only thing i am trying to figure out is how to relieve some of the congestion so she can breathe and sleep. Is there anything over the counter to give to her?????? And we have suctioned her nose and its not helping at all.

savannah_rose20

Asked by savannah_rose20 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To relieve the congestion... no I do not think there is a decongestant mild enough for a one month old... Sorry
    Have you tried something with goats milk. It most mimics mother's milk. It takes like 3 hours to digest regular cow milk and under 45 mins. to digest goat milk... ask you pedi.. There is a brand of formula that makes it, but I cannot remember the name of it...
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• we use saline drops to relieve stuffy nose, and have the humidifier on in our sons room, it really helps to clear him up.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Sorry your baby isn't feeling well. You can try a cool mist humidifier, saline nose drops and nasal aspirator. Has the doctor mentioned a possible Reflux along with the milk allergy with your daughter because of the projectile vommit? That could be a possibility too. Hope she feels better soon! It usually takes up to 2 weeks for babies to heal from colds/flu's.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You can use saline drops, that's about it. If you want to see if you can express any breastmilk, that is the BEST cure on the planet for all the ills you've listed. It's worth a shot.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Take her in the bathroom with a hot shower running. The steam should help to clear her up. And then do the saline/humidifier. I hope she feels better soon.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You may have already tried some of these things but--
    Humidifier in the room
    Saline nose drops
    Vicks vapor rub on the bottom of the feet.
    Turn the hot shower on and sit with her in the bathroom, not in the shower, just let her breathe the steam
    Boil water with ginger root, let cool enough to not burn the baby, soak a wash cloth with the water and place it on baby's chest
    Place a pillow under the matress to hold her in a more upright position (don't put a pillow in her crib, it can smother her, but if it is under the mattress it will work.)

Just some of the things I have done that have helped over the years.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My son was a puker. It is hard to take the bottle away, but I found if I fed him less more often and burped him really well he kept his food down better.

Don't stop bothering the Pediatrician until you are satisfied things are okay.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I had a problem with the vomiting in my youngest daughter...they changed her formula so many times I got dizzy. My question to you is....is the formula Powdered? or concentrated? or ready to feed?....believe me it makes a difference. My daughter could not handle the powder stuff so we always got the concentrated liquid and used bottled water to mix it. Good luck and hang in there
    AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 9:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Along with all the other suggestions, have you tried Nutramigen? It worked wonders for my son until his digestive system calmed and matured. It was expensive, but you can go to enfamil's web site and sign up for their newsletter thing and it includes coupons....which you can use for any type of their formula, not just Nutramigen. After 6 weeks on nutramigen we slowly began to introduce soy formula in. Did this by mixing 4 cups of water and one scoop soy, 15 scoops nutramigen. Readjusted scoop by scoop every day or 2, this slowly introduces it in their system. All that switching of formula on a one month old is very hard on their bellies and caused my son all kinds of problems like your baby. I was also allergic to milk until I was 9 and as a baby had goats milk, it digests more gently on our stomachs. It is about 3 to 4 dollars for a pint, I think, in the grocery store. Good luck!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I don't know about the vomiting but for the stuffy nose... Saline drops and/or steam up the bathroom and bring the baby in for a little while... that is what my son's pediatrician told me to do when he had a stuffy nose.
    EvansMom623

Answer by EvansMom623 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2008