Does "Merry Christmas" really bother any of you?

Of course, this question is mostly for atheist or those other than Christian. Does it really bother you that much for people to say Merry Christmas to you or do you not care? Does it bother you to see nativity scenes and people talking about the birth of Christ or do you understand it's just a part of the holiday? These are real questions and are not meant to be funny. I really would like to know.

floyd835

Asked by floyd835 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• if i didnt celebrate christmas i wouldnt let it get to me. because i know there are other religions out there and celebrations out there. just like i could care less if i see a happy Hanukkah or if someone said that or if i see the star of david for decoration .. it doesnt bother me because i know and accept there are other religions out there.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I've never known a non-Christian who cared.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Not a Christian. None of the things mentioned bother me at all.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am not a Christian and none of that bothers me either. I know its all part of the season.
    Anonymous

• I know it's all part of the holiday. It doesn't bother me one bit =] I say Merry Christmas to people, and I'm agnostic. If they don't like it...sorry.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Im a Christian- but I think the words "Merry Christmas" really means so much more than the celebration of a Christian holiday. It's wishing good will and peace to your fellow man. It's a wish of hoping all is well and to enjoy the season. JMO
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I've never given it much thought. I say Merry Christmas just as often (if not more) than I say Happy Holidays or whatever else.

In fact, when everything started getting all 'politically correct' and people weren't allowed to say Merry Christmas at their jobs & Christmas programs started getting skipped over in schools... THAT stuff bothered me.... and I'm Buddhist.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am a Pagan and it never bothers me to hear Merry Christmas.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I'm Muslim (quite identifiable) and it bugs me when people ask my kids if they are waiting for Santa to come, or try to really involve my kids in the celebration somehow. It's not our celebration people, and yes - my 4 year old (let alone my 3 year old) has a hard time understanding that, and trying to draw her into the "season" means another 45 minutes of reassuring her that we are normal and fine the way we are. It doesn't bother me at all when it is a random unintentional automatic response - kind of like telling someone to have a nice day.
    b_cheerful

Answer by b_cheerful at 10:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think the nativity scene is stupid outside of churches. According to the bible, the wise men didn't visit jesus until he was almost 2.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2008