Magnesium citrate for toddler: How long til they should go?

My son is 3, doctor ordered him to be on this for 1-2 days (doctors are hoping only one day). Anyone know how long it should be before he finally goes poo? He's taking 2oz 3x a day and has had 3 doses so far and NOTHING has come yet!

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 9:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• When I've used it for my son, it has usually taken effect within 24 hours or less, but sometimes, if he was really badly constipated, it would take a little longer or I needed to use an enema to get things started. Is he drinking lots of water with the magnesium citrate, as well as in-between doses? The mag citrate needs the water for it to work well. Also, if your son's belly bloats up a lot or he is in lots of pain, I would call the doctor back right way, even if your 2 days isn't up yet. Better to error on the side of caution.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Thanks! He is drinking a lot of fluids (right now he is refusing solid foods so all he will do is drink his elemental formula or water) and he finally has gone some but I did out a call in and they said to continue with day 2. So that is what we will be doing.
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2011