Water intoxication?

With water intoxication in the news I think Im a worry wart.But I accidently made my 4 month old a 6oz bottle with 2 scoops of formula,but it also had cereal (as dirrected by dr).I was just wondering if you think its ok,it was ONE bottle and was toatlly an accident.

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 10:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nothing to worry about. That is if someone drinks A LOT of water in a short period time.
    Anonymous

• Your baby will be fine. I think the issue is when it is done regularly, and the baby ends up getting more water than calories.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• ur baby will be fine.... one q? what kinda formula do u use... i ask because all the formulas i us say to use 3 scoops for 6 oz a scoop ever 2 oz... just wondering
    Anonymous

• yes-that was my erroe,annonmous.I accidently used 2 scoops,2 oz too much water.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 10:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water.[1] Normal, healthy (both physically and nutritionally) individuals have little to worry about accidentally consuming too much water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume more than 10 liters (2.2 imp gal/2.6 U.S. gal) of water over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• don't worry so much mama, your baby is great!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• your fine, i actually asked my doctor about it and he said i would have to be more than one bottle.. you just don't want to overwork their little kidneys.. Make sure your caregivers know this too! Mine were doing the two scoop for six ounce thing and I didn't even know!
    shaymariep

Answer by shaymariep at 10:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My babysitter gave my 6mo an entire bottle of just water...actually i think she had 2, but nothing happened to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Dec. 19, 2008