Any ideas on entertaining a 2.5 year-old while breastfeeding a newborn?

My oldest, the poor guy, is so frustrated that he's no longer the only show in town, especially when I'm feeding our newborn daughter. Of course I read books to him during feedings, but we need other ideas, too.

CatDocMom

Asked by CatDocMom at 10:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe let him watch a favorite show or movie, toys, coloring.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 10:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I know this sounds silly, but this is what I did with mine. I got a baby for the oldest, anytime I did anything with the baby, they had their baby to do the same thing. (we even got a stroller and carseat for the doll, so the oldest never felt left out) worked like a charm. Even though it is a boy, I know some people have a problem with boys and babies, but he is still young, and will eventually toss the doll for a truck!!!
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I used to read to my son too...it only works for so long before you need something else...how about the dollar rack at Target? Every once in awhile - in times of desperation - something small and new to hold his attention for a bit. Depending on the time of the feedings, maybe a special snack for him?
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 10:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• PBS and Disney!!!
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Play-Doh!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 12:14 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Get a special toy that he is only allowed to play with when you are nursing the baby (get several so you can swap them out so he doesn't get board) You can also make u songs as your nurse and/or when the baby falls asleep and you have hands free (or a sling) devote the entire nap time to him; no house work, just non stop attention for him!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son always wants my attention when I'm working on school work. The V-Smile has worked wonders for this problem. He gets to sit next to me on the couch, he's able to entertain himself, plus he is playing learning games, so he gets something positive out of the distraction.
    BobbysMom2007

Answer by BobbysMom2007 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2008