I'm confused...

Baby taken to nursery? They take baby pretty quickly (45 min after birth) and there is a 4-hour nursery stay (write a baby care plan and interview pediatricians for help with these, it is possible to keep baby longer and lessen the nursery stay)

This is what is says on the website were Iam going to have my baby. I have had a baby there before but he was in the NICU so he wasnt allowed to leave there. I am planning to Breastfeed and was wondering if this means that I wont be able to when she is first born.

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 10:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• no that doesnt mean that. no hospital can MAKE you not see the baby especially if they are perfectly healthy at birth.....
    Anonymous

• Babies don't need to eat right away, Im sure when its time they will get you...and don't worry, they need to do all the tests and get the baby ready...depending on your delivery you might need that extra time to rest, shower it will be a long day! but with my son he stayed in the room for an hour then went into the nursery for 3...doesn't hurt to ask though
    Anonymous

• Mine never stayed away for more than 30 mins. I would talk to your doctor, it is not necessary.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• They do have to do a test at 1 hour old that is necessary.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Call and ask...it's really really baby-UNfriendly to take an infant away from mom for so long.

Make sure that you will be allowed to nurse in the first minutes after birth. Ask if your husband will be able to stay with the baby at the nursery, to make sure no bottles are given (this is the time when breastfeeding relationships are most often ruined). If the answer to EITHER of these is no, find another place to give birth. I'm quite serious.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My son only left me to get weighed and the hearing test. I'm confused why they would take your baby away for anything and he wanted food right away. This is breaking my heart to think you HAVE to give your baby for a significant amount of time... WHY?
    Anonymous

• The one-hour test doesn't have to be done away from mom; it can be done in the recovery room. Mine roomed in and didn't go to the nursery. And the refitting of that same hospital completely eliminated the nursery for all but NICU patients (who get shipped off to a children's hospital as soon as they're stable). All moms room in.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• See I have to have a c-section I am scheduled for one Jan 13th. I know not all babies have to eat right after they are born. But when my daughter was born at a different hospital I had her by c-sectiona and 2min after i got to my room they came and asked me if i want to feed her or if i wanted them to give her a bottle because she was hungry.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yeah I had my daughter with me at ALL times when she was born except rightbefore she went home they took her so the dr could see her but that was it. I didtn care that i had a c-sec i wanted hr with me i kept her basinet right by my bed and all te things i needed in it that way i didnt have to get up all the time.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Oh and it also says that
    "All families have the rooming-in option. If you wish to have your infant with you at night or brought to you for feedings just let us know."
    I am SO confused I am really ging ot have to ask the dr.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2008