my son is 10mos old and still doesn't hold his bottle! how can i get him to hold his own bottle?

is this normal?

Asked by VERONICACP at 1:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know you probably want to be able to do something else while he is having his bottle, but may I suggest sit down and just hold his bottle for him. This times pass by to quickly, pretty soon he will be 1 yr. old no more bottle and he will be to busy to sit in mommy's lap to snuggle. That is when you will miss you baby. Treasure the moment don't force him to grow up he will soon enough =[

Answer by MybabyKisses at 2:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You need to force him to. By this I mean show him how to hold it and REFUSE to hold it for him. Eventually he's going to get hungry enough to cooperate. All 3 of my daughters were holding their bottles by 6 months.

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 1:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i stopped holding it for her...she got the picture. She was on her own at 5 1/2 months.

Answer by mama2gracee at 1:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son is 8 mos old and I have the same problem. I've tried showing him how to old it and then just set it in front of him. He'll just stare at it, never tries to pick it up. If you find something that works let me know.

Answer by marie0508 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We just started to make my daughter hold her own bottle. We basically refuse to hold it and we put the bottle in her mouth and then we put her hands on the bottle and we watch her just in case she loses it but if she does she knows how to pick it up and put it back in. He probably knows how but knows that mommy will help him out... Trust me my family yelled at me for not making her and now she does and it took only two days to break her...

Answer by Babyduche at 2:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I just put his hands up to the bottle and barely held it. I still hold him while he eats but he holds his own bottle now. It's funny b/c if i try to hold it for him he will turn away from me like "No, I can do it!".

Answer by colorsofgrey at 6:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2008