Why does my MIL send my 20 month old son Girls clothing?

Since my son was born, my MIL has sent him girls clothes. It is ridiculous. Sometimes the stuff just looks girlie, but recently she sent a little package that was meant for him to have some nice holiday outfits, and a pair of pajamas to wear on Christmas Eve (a tradition in our families-we always wear new Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve) and they are girls pajamas, and an outfit that she sent him is clearly a girls outfit!! What is wrong with her?? It makes both me and my husband furious!! Does she think he is a girl?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go out a buy her a male sweater for Christmas. (just kidding) but I had to throw that in there to cheer you up!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Your MIL sounds a little off her rocker....LOL.
    Anonymous

• she probably doesn't realize it. i don't think she's intentionally trying to be mean. are there other grandkids? it's been awhile, perhaps, and she may think all kids clothing is the same...

my grandmother used to dress all the kids (five boys) in outfits that looked girly (dresses and curls) until they were five. it's what her generation did in that part of the world. idk.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 11:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Does she have any granddaughters that are around your son's age? If so, I think I'd just tell her that you think she may have sent your son *so-and-so* outfit. Or, if there is no granddaughter, then I think I'd just call and tell her that you think she may have picked the wrong outfit by mistake because this is for a girl and ask for the receipt to return for some boys' clothes.

It may sound rude and it will be uncomfortable to do this, but trust me, you need to stop this now or I think your batty MIL will have your son in dresses by the time he's 5!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• She doesn't have any granddaughters and that is why I am scared!! I think that she wants him to be a girl!!! But I know I have to put my foot down because there was a time where an outfit had tights!! (No joke!!)
    Anonymous

• I think AllAboutKeeley is right on, but (me personally) I'd have DH say something - it's his mother.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 11:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• That's weird. Sorry you have to deal with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• How old is she? Because my grandma has called both my girls all the time he's. It's always how's he doing, hey little guy, and so on. We all hiddenly correct her and answer with SHE'S doing fine, isn't she such a good little girl. But then again my grandma is creeping up to 90. I say ignore it, and if you can ask for gift receipts.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 1:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If she is too young to be senile...I'd say correct her straight out. Say quit buying our little boy girls clothes. If you need to be more subtle I would say he really likes so and so or these are his favorite colors, red, blue, dark green. If she still doesn't get it then have someone go shopping with her and see where she is picking this shit out of. Then when she goes for the cute girly outfit they can be like how about we look over here for "your sons name here"!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Well, provided she is of sane mind, I say correct her. Of course this is a tricky situation but if you don't he'll keep getting girly clothes.

Tell her that you don't think she does it intentionally, but the clothes she sends tend to be a little too frilly. You may even go so far as to say "Honestly, it isn't me. If it weren't for the fact that he takes them off I wouldn't mind! But he very adament about it." if you're comfortable with that. I would also make sure you thank her for thinking about your son---I'm sure she pends plenty of money on those girly clothes! Since she doesn't have any granddaughters she may want one so bad she thinks she can turn him into one! Be blunt but polite when reminding her that your son is a BOY and she needs to buy for who he is.

Of course if she is getting older and may not remember things the way she used to, I would just let it be.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008