out of control mothers !!!!!!!!

i need help on what to do today my little sister came over to my house and was telling me about one of her friends moms and the way she is with them and when she started to tell me i about got sick how could some one talk to there child that way, i guess what happened was that the little girl had cut her hair or something of that effect it doesnt even really matter what she did there like only ten; and in front of my sister and the little girls brother and sister started yelling and curseing at the little girl and told her that she would beat her to with in an inch of her life and that if she ever did it again she would killer and i guess this is and everyday thing this is the way she talksto her childern all the time in front of ppl or not and my only thing is that i dont know if she actually hits them and if she does how bad !!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• Wow thats sad.
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i konw i just dont know what to do !!!
    Anonymous

• I'd say to observe the girl. Does she show signs of abuse? I have to say I'm guilty of telling my kids "If you do XXX again I'll kill you!" I haven't laid a hand on any of them in years, and the last time was a well deserved spanking. They are not abused, and are not afraid of me. Its just an idle threat that they know will never happen. Now, when I tell them no TV, then they get afraid because they know that will very likely happen if they keep up their crap!
    Anonymous

• Some parents make what are called idle threats all the time because they don't know how to communicate appropriately to their children. For example: "I'm going to knock your head off so hard it is going to go rolling down the street!" Ah, well a parent is not really going to do this. And most of the time a parent isn't going to beat or spank a child within an inch of thier life. I do understand first hand how a parent who demeans a child all the time is damaging - even abusive. But unfortunately there is little to no recourse when it comes to using powerful negative words and yelling. There should be but there isn't. Words do hurt. We have always heard the saying "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me."
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• no these kids are scared of her
    Anonymous

• cont...What a load of crap that is. Of course names hurt. I once had a first grade teacher who used to tell me I was stupid. It hurt. Just as bad, actually worse, than someone punching me in the face. It hurt my soul, damaged my self-esteem, and it was abusive. So names do hurt. Especially when that bully is a person who is supposed to love and care for you. While you have no proof this person is not physically abusive the damage they are doing is life long. I'm sorry that you had to whitness this and that the situation is on going.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• a parent has no excuse for making threats like that to their children. she shouldnt be allowed to have kids!
    keep an i out for marks on her if you start seeing them call cps or the cops....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• There was a situation at the lake (a BIG recreational lake, almost like the beach) here ...and one particular evening I guess some little girls ran off without asking their parents, and their parents were driving around, in panic and finally found them...so I'm wayyyyy by the water and the woman was several hundred feet away and I heard her when she found them "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR _____ MIND? DO YOU KNOW YOU COULD'VE BEEN KILLED? YOU WANT SOMEONE TO CUT YOUR LITTLE BODY UP IN A MILLION PIECES AND THROW YOU IN A BAG!?"she went on for atleast 10 minutes screaming at them and yelling with EVERYONE watching. In that, I can understand her frustration. Not excusing what she said...but she obviously was terrified and worried and reacted as such.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• (continued) in the case of a haircut, that is overboard and silly .
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think you have to look at the whole picture to determine whether it is actually abusive or not. If the kids are really scared of her that is something to consider. There is a difference between actual verbal abuse and the occasional idle threat. I could see getting really upset if my 10 year old cut her hair or someone elses hair....
    I don't know what to tell you, but you would need more information than one incident to come to any conclusions.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2008