Is anyone else also experiencing eczema with their child(ren)

My 6 months old daughter have a severe case of eczema and so far it's clearing up. My daughter is taking prescribe medication but I hate to watch her be in so much pain when it's as hot as it is now. She also have a fever on top of that so it's not making it any better. I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing it with their children and how they're dealing with it.

kewi86

Asked by kewi86 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• try cutting dairy
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2011

• both my boys have it (11 yr and 11 mo) The eleven year old was told countless time "You'll grow out of it by drs" (mmmm not so much) He uses cream everyday twice a day, it's especially noticable in the fall as his tan begins to fade as the ezema spots fade first it looks like white finger prints all over his arms. The good thing is it doesn't embarass him especially now that he's discovered "the girl with the ghost on her wrist, and circle on her shoulder" (I have to assume this is her eczema)

Any how, the 11 mo old also has it in the creases of his knees and elbows and real bad on his chest (it didn't show up until an illness) I'm surprised you got a script for your six mos. old as my ped just says lotion and hydrocortisone (but we sneak and use big bros script)

It's actually a quite common skin issue and maybe our babies will grow out of it but I"m not counting on it as every appt. we ever had said oldest would
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• My friend's son had it VERY bad at that age. She uses Aveeno and it works for him. Maybe he's growing out of it, but it's gone!! Hopefully your little ones will grow out of it as well!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• my son has had it since he was born n still has it n 10 months old today n we got eczema lotion n babywash. the doctor told me to switch to none fragrant laundry soap or anthing that the baby is goin to be in contact with
    luckyinlove101

Answer by luckyinlove101 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Yes my 2 year old has exzema....I have a special cream that the doctor prescribed that I put on her a couple times a day..also I use Dove white soap and she takes a bath in lukewarm water and doesn't soak too long.....and then I make sure to lotion her up and use the exzema cream...it's getting a lot better.
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Yes, all of my children and I have it. I have one soap they can use, California Babies unscented. We use one and only one detergent All Free and clear the three times concentrated, everything else is like sand blasting them. I took a while and figured out what was making it worse and we cut those things out. For the kids it is anything scented. For me it is anything scent r with Lanolin in it. Disrupting the skin also makes it worse, so scratching and in my case shaving makes it real bad. But I am willing to look like a hippie if it means I don't itch like crazy. Their seasonal allergies make it worse so when those are bad, they get Benadryl at night and claritin in the day. I put hydrocortisone from the doctor on it when they really itch but we are careful with that as it can thin the skin. If it stays bad I would have your child allergy test after the first birthday.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 7:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• My 2 yo has it and although it looks like it would bother him, it's never really seemed to. We use hydrocortisone prescribed by the dr and AveenoBaby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream that claims to soothe even dry skin from eczema, and it seems to.

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Yes it's very hard! If her skin can take it bathe her in real oatmeal and cinnamon it should soothe her long enough to get her some rest!

My daughter has severe eczema and can't use any thing except one soap and one lotion I have to hand wash her laundry in the bath soap :( and literally she is even allergic to sunblock it's very hard on us to be able to find soothing relieve for her!

Big hugs momma!
    ttcforever6391

Answer by ttcforever6391 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Yeah my son had it bad as a newborn. He is 8 months now and it is mostly gone. I used chamomile tea with a cotton ball, California Baby lotion and soap, olive oil, and a little baking soda in his bath to soothe the itching.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2011