Were you mandated to create a birth plan? It is hospital policy for me.

The hospital that I will be delivering my first baby at demands a completed birth plan .
They handed me thick booklet asking me tons of preferences and choices. Like if I want a warm water bath, massage, what position I would like to deliver in and such.
Uh... sounds like a great idea right? Wrong! I have never been in labor. I don't know what I want or won't want.
The only things that I am sure of is that I want drugs and an epidural. I am an anxious person that cannot tolerate pain. I would prefer not to have a c-section but beyond that I have no preferences.
I know that it sounds like a petty thing to complain about, however, as a nurse I know that the plans are rarely followed anyway AND I have to make an appointment with an OB nurse prior to delivering to go over the plan. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 12:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I didnt have to have one, and you shouldnt either. Even if you have given birth before labor is rarely ever the same twice, and it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to know what you are going to want. There is absolutely no point, But I do understand their reasoning. They want to make things easier on every, although I think it would just complicate things
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:11 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• never got asked this.
    good thing tho had a emec. c-sec.
    All i know all plains never go as the plain. Yes you can wish tho. LIke i wanted a water birth
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had a birth plan when I had my son my doctor told me not to be set on things because my mind can change at the last minute, I haven't even been asked a birth plan for this baby and I am due any day
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 12:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Does it give you a way to rank preferences? That's what mine was...and I was middle of the road all the way down because I didn't know enough then and truly didn't care. My summary of my birth plan was, "Deliver one healthy baby. Whatever it takes." I really didn't care about the process.

If I was to do another one, though, there would be things I would be adamant about...like no pitocin on pain of being slugged with a baseball bat (and the bat WOULD be part of my hospital bag), no drugs or epidural...all of those led to postpartum feeding problems that were a bitch to work through.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Well, you can simply state that you would like an epidural as soon as it can be administered, and that you would prefer to avoid a c-section. Don't get too wordy about it, anyway. Your baby sometimes has his/her own ideas about how the show is going to go down. I wanted to go natural all the way, at home if possible, and I ended up with an epidural and then an emergency c-section, because my son was sunny side up, his head was tilted, and the cord was wrapped warrior style across his torso twice. Are you having a boy? You will need to include whether you want him circumcised. You will also want to put if you want the baby to room in with you, if you want him/her brought to you only when hungry, or somewhere in between, if you plan to bottle or breastfeed, and any other special instructions that come up. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I made my own off a baby website but when I took it with me to the hospital and told the nurse I had one and just said "okay" but never looked at it. Everything went my way anyway so it was fine. They asked me if I wanted whatever before they did/gave it to me so I did end up making my own choices.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My hospital didn't require one, but they certainly followed mine (whenever possible). If it was necessary to deviate, they made sure to ask me first, or explain why we had no other choice.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I didn't have one...I didn't take any baby classes or birthing or lamaze classes either...and I was only in labor for about 45 mins. My doctor got to the hospital literally 3 mins before she popped out..he had to catch her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2008