HOW DO YOU WEAN A DEMANDING 22 MONTH LITTLE BOY?

MY WORK HAS DECIDED THAT I CAN NO LONGER PUMP AT WORK AND BEING AS HOW I WORK FROM 4 AM TILL SOMETIMES 730-800 PM I AM AFRAID THAT MY SUPPLY IS GOING TO DECREASE. MY SON LOVES NURSING AND I ENJOY IT AS WELL BUT I WILL HAVE TO QUIT. I AM A MILITARY MOTHER AND MY SENIOR PERSONNEL HAVE TOLD ME THAT I CAN NO LONGER PUMP AT WORK. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

TOSHIALEIGH

Asked by TOSHIALEIGH at 12:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think they're allowed to do that, military or not. i'd go over their head about it. but if you don't want to, try cold turkey or mix your breastmilk with regular milk, and wean him onto whole milk. seeing as you work so much, and probly will be to tired at night, taking care of your son, and tired from work, you won't have time to pump. that's all i can really tell you. sorry this is happening.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Nurse when you ARE home, don't worry about when you're not. No need to quit at all!

I stopped pumping at one year. Nursed to 26 months. No supply issues ever.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think 22 months is too old to nurse anyway. its recommended to start children on reg milk at 12months. you will have to stop sooner or later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i think that it is illeagle for them to ask you to quit pumping!!!! kudos for still b/f but maby is has been a while sence they have had a break. maby if you pump for lunch and then let him nurse at night and in the morning.!.!.
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 2:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I don't believe it's illegal since he's a toddler.....not a baby. The milk produced is no longer his only source of nourishment. However, I am no law expert.

I know quite a few women who still nursed around work. Your supply may take a hit, but it will only adjust...as long as he's still nursing some you'll still produce some. Nothing will change for him.

Weaning...cold turkey or one session at a time. It depends on your son. You have to judge that.

I have to mention that one thing that pops into my mind since you're military is your superiors know something you don't....maybe it's their way of getting you and your son prepared for...well, for deployment or maneuvers out in the field?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I agree with gdiamante your milk suppl is well enough established you should be fine, if you wnat to continue nursing. I know that you be gone for over 12 hrs. Do you have brakes that you can pump on? Your brakes are your time an they cannot tell you not to pump then.

As for the anonymous poster, please don't comment unless you know all the info. At 12 months a child CAN start cow's milk but the minimum set by they WHO is 2 years an as long after that as both mutually desired y mom and baby.

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My DH is military and he thinks you should go over their heads. Depending on your job and what they have you doing you should be able to continue to pump. I mean you've done it this long with your job...nothing should have changed. They will certainly let you know if it was in the rules before and they were just being nice to you though. Good for you for nursing so long!!! Our family personally would like to be a one year nursing family. We both just find it creepy to have a walking/talking kid asking for Mommy's boob. I really hope that didn't offend you. I think it's great you have been able to go so long.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• (cont.) As for weaning, if you decide to do it, go cold turkey. That's how we did it with our DD and will do it with our DS! Sorry I forgot to add that. =)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Check your state laws, they can't tell you that you can't pump.

Even if you do stop pumping at work (and slowly cut back don't just stop cold turkey) you CAN still nurse at home. Your supply will change to meet the new requirements.

There is NO reason you need to stop nursing completly.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

________________________________________________

Her child is a human so human milk is regular milk. It is recommended by the AAP that you use cow's milk NO SOONER THAN 12 months and that you nurse as long as you want to. Not that you cut them off and give cow's milk at 12 months. There is a difference. The WHO recommends a MINIMUM of 24 months, which she has not reached.

She doesn't have to do anything "sooner or later" - he'll wean on his own when he's ready...as all humans do if given the opportunity.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008