How do I make a father relize it's important to be there for his 1 year old son?

It's been a year now. Im a single mom to a now 1 year old boy, me and his father were not together he wasn't there during the pregnancy but says he wants to "work this out" im a firm believer, actions speak louder than words. As much as he says he will be there for Jaden (he see's him 1-2 a week if im lucky) and work things out and be a famlily he has been nothing but all talk. I remind him "It's day 3 now, you haven't seen Jaden." and he finds some kind of excuss. disregards it and thats the end of the conversation. If I can't force him to change, make him relize he should change and can't trick him into changing.. I feel it's time a move on? I can't wait forever. Ontop of that there are lots of people who would love to be there for Jaden as a father figure, guy friends and an ex-boyfriend of mine. Is it time to move on if he hasn't changed and we've gone threw the same thing FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR?

itsdesirea

Asked by itsdesirea at 12:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you cant force someone to see there kid.
    I know it hurts. One day youll find your lo a daddy.
    I never see mine. last time i was him was 14yrs ago.
    I dont care my step dad is my daddy.
    there are sperm donarters then daddys
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You can't force him. Here is the thing, I think you know that it just isn't going to happen for you guys. SO, move on with your life. And make the best decisions you can for your son. If you have guy friends (good ones :D) then let them be role models for your son. My grandfather is my son's role model. It doesnt have to be dad, it just has to be a guy that loves your son and cares about him.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 1:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• There's no way to make him interested if he's simply unwilling to be.

Decide for yourself what kind of exposure you're ok with his father having with your son and then let him decide to do from there. It can be as limited or free as you'd like as long as YOU control it.

When your son is old enough to understand, you'll probably have to explain to him about why his father did/does or didn't/doesn't see him often but it sounds like the conversation was destined to happy anyways. If things do not work out between the two of you as adults, I would take him to court and make whatever manners you need final.

Until then just make sure your friends and family are very supportive of you and your son, even if he feels he was ever missing a father he will appreciate the people who do love him.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2008