• In the Spotlight:

does anybody have any tips on saving money? My husband makes good money but we have a hard time saving. Any ideas . Creative ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• What me and my husband do is figure ot what we will need each week for bills and put that aside. Then we split what is left between what we should save and what we can spend, it helps to keep things in order. Hope this helps!
    Storismom

Answer by Storismom at 8:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I love trying to budget everything down to our fun money and don't buy anything major without agreeing on it first. It kinda sucks when getting used to,but when you see a savings account building up it feels really good to do the right thing.
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Open a savings account at a different bank from where you have your checking account and go there only to make deposits even if it's $5, $10, $20 what ever amount. Being disceplined and not touching that money unless you're in great need, is also a great factor where saving is concerned. Well good luck and happy savings.
    daisie

Answer by daisie at 9:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Here's what you do... automatically take a portion of the check and put it into a savings acct... keep your saving acct information, but don't look at it... It can be as little as 25- 50 at a time.. but forget its there...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Just put a little cash...aside every week/month
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I would recommend the Dave Ramsey book on Financial Freedom!
    DorothyOpp

Answer by DorothyOpp at 11:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• pay yourself first. So many people think that you 'save whats left over after you pay bills" Horse Hockey. You have to budget savings same as everything else.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Save a percentage. I would start putting away 10% of your income, and if that seems easy, go to 20%. Ideally, you would want to have a savings that you could live off of in case of a job loss or injury. Not everyone is so fortunate to be financially secure enough to do this... (once you have the money in savings-you cant spend it. thats why it is called savings!)
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 12:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I would say you should sit down and do a budget plan, and also create a list of what you want and what you need, and from the what you want list, you should only be able to buy it with your saving.

Before you could get anything from what you want list, first you have to save up three months worth emergency fund of all the bills , mortage and expense.
    Anestasia

Answer by Anestasia at 1:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• dont buy everything you want, only what you need
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 3:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2008