How can I get a copy of my high school diploma?

I applied for a job at a local church to work with children. I have worked for 2 public school districts recently. That said, the human resources person wants a copy of my high school diploma. I almost laughed. I have been out of high school for 35 years. Would my high school have my diploma from that long ago?

3mom627

Asked by 3mom627 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• Everyone is right, your school should have record of your graduation and your transcript available. If your high school is local you could call and then go pick it up. If it is further away, a call can get you the information to get it mailed (you may have to send ID).

If your school is no longer in existence (has been closed, consolidated or turned into another school (ie, high to middle)), call the school system district office directly. The records will be centralized. After 35 years, this is honestly not a bad route to go period. They are more likely to have staff (especially in the summer) that can get you the info you need quickest and with most ease.

If your entire school system has been closed (private school, consolidations of districts, etc), try the state board of education. They should also have resources and records of your graduation.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Yes, they should still have a copy.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Yep... call up the school. They may charge a fee to print you a new one though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Contact the school records department or school board in your city or state and I am sure they could guide you as to what you need to do
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• Not a copy but a transcript. Which should do for your employer.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2011

• They may not have a copy of the original but I'm sure they would have records that you graduated and can probably reprint a new version of a diploma for you or have a signed letter by the principal attesting to your attendance, graduation date and GPA (if necessary).
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2011

• They should, call the school, pay a nominal fee.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Do they want your diploma or your transcripts?

There is probably not a copy of the diploma, but you can certainly get a copy of your transcripts.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2011

• I contacted my high school and they can send me a transcript for a $1.00. Filled out the form, mailed the check and hopefully, they will send it back soon. I still can't believe that after 35 years, this is the first employer asking to see my diploma. Maybe they get a lot of people who don't have one.
    3mom627

Comment by 3mom627 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2011