Can anybody tell me how to repel ticks & no-seeums

My neighbors live on the first floor and enjoy feeding the pigeons and the stray cats. The problem with that, is the pigeons carry ticks and little bugs that go through the screens. They bite my children and cause nasty outbreaks on their skins. I don't want to cause any problems by talking to them so I'm trying to find other solutions besides the sprays to repel those ticks from my apartment. We live in Florida and sometimes the weather does not permit you any other choice but to run around bare skin and that's something my children enjoy alot and I think they should have that right without pests bothering them. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

daisie

Asked by daisie at 8:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• If by any chance they do get a tick on them you can dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and touch it to them, normally they let go in a hurry and it doesn't hurt the baby like yanking them off would. As for repelling to prevent I am kinda at a loss except for the avon skin-so-soft products that are supposed to be really good for that.
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• They say ducks eat ticks, so I was surprised pigeons did not eat them as well. Maybe they're strictly vegetarian birds.

Wear light colored socks and clothing to spot ticks. Ticks live in dark shady places, so keep grass trimmed, leaves and logs cleaned up.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• get a few citrenella candles for the window ledges or the non burn kind. check avon.com for lotion with deet or mosquito replellant. sometimes sunscreen lotion has it. it keeps bugs from biting. some kinds are fragrant. go to the Off website and see what products they have and look for lotions with deet or repellant in them. I would love to find some, i use Off family spray, it smells good. bug zappers outside of windows or the mosquito killing machines they sell are like bug zappers too. repels mosquitos and like insects. Thermacell repellant lantern...30.00 I googled it...
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 11:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Pigeon's are nasty, disease caring bird's, you do not want to be around there poop at all, and if they are feeding them then there nest isn't far away, there nest is made from there own poop, and if that was me I would tell the people next door to stop feeding them by your place, and print out info on pigeon's and what they carry. good luck and keep you and your children away from them, you can also call your child's dr and let them know and they an give you info on thing's to look for, the tic problem alway's check your children, don't let them play in tall grass, the other bug's is a main reason of how thing's are spred, tell your landlord that he has to put a stop to it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2008