Jello stain on the carpet

It is nasty and red. I put chlorox bleach stain remover on it, now the rug changed colors. It is a disaster. What do I do?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I think that it is a permanent stain. Red jello, red/pink Kool-Aid, and red washable markers--the color doesn't seem to want to come out of carpet. We took out our carpet and put in laminate flooring. Wa-laa, no more stains:) I realize that not everyone can do this. DH & I have come to the conclusion that carpet doesn't belong in the living room, family room, or dining room. It should only be in the bedrooms.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2011

• I've had good success with Spot-Shot taking out red stains like Jello. But now that bleach has damaged the color of the carpet, there's not much you can do. What color is the carpet? If you can get rid of the red stain (is it still there?) then maybe you could re-dye the carpet with a Ritt dye... Might be a recipe for disaster though.

I have had great luck using just plain white vinegar on a lot of carpet stains, too. With both Spot Shot and white vinegar, the method is important. Saturate the stain, then place several layers of paper towel over it, and press with your hands to absorb the moisture. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Do not scrub. Do not add water or soap.

The white vinegar has taken out doggy poo stains, cat puke stains which are really red stains from the icky dyes put in some cat foods, and a pee stain. The spot shot took out marker stains, ink stains, dirty, and rust stains. Good luck!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 1:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2011

• Nothing you can do for the spot now...the color is damaged and you can't get it back to where it was. If you are interested in fixing it (if you can't put a rug or piece of furniture over it), your best bet is to find a carpet repair technician to do a bonded insert (patch) in the area. Might cost somewhere between $50-$100 depending on the size of the spot and the type of carpet.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2011